Texas Weekly Online

New motion seeks former Colorado Clerk Tina Peters’ release, challenging state after Trump’s pardon

New motion seeks former Colorado Clerk Tina Peters’ release, challenging state after Trump’s pardon

Attorneys representing Tina Peters filed a motion seeking to have the former Colorado county clerk released from jail and for an appellate court to recognize a pardon recently issued by President Donald Trump. Tina Peters, who was pardoned by President Donald Trump earlier this month, spent her Christmas in a Colorado prison after being convicted in October 2024 as the state resists the pressure from Trump. The motion, obtained by Fox News Digital, was filed Dec. 23 and outlined why Peters should be released. “There is no question that the Pardon forgave federal offenses,” the motion states. “However, the Pardon also forgave Colorado state court convictions for actions Clerk Peters ‘may have committed or taken part in related to election integrity and security’ during the applicable time period.” TRUMP ISSUES SWEEPING PARDONS FOR 2020 ELECTION ALLIES — WHAT THE MOVE REALLY MEANS  Peters was a Republican law clerk who was convicted of official misconduct, conspiracy and influencing a public servant, according to Colorado state law, after she allowed unauthorized access to voting equipment on suspicions that the 2020 election may have been stolen from Trump. PRO-TRUMP CLERK CONVICTED IN 2020 ELECTION SCHEME THREATENED, ATTACKED IN PRISON, LAWYER SAYS She was sentenced by a Colorado judge to nine years in prison in October 2024. Trump issued a pardon in early December 2025, stating on Truth Social that Peters is “a Patriot who simply wanted to make sure that our Elections were Fair and Honest.” “Instead of protecting Americans and their Tax Dollars, Democrats chose instead to prosecute anyone they can find that wanted Safe and Secure Elections,” Trump posted. “Democrats have been relentless in their targeting of TINA PETERS, a Patriot who simply wanted to make sure that our Elections were Fair and Honest. “Tina is sitting in a Colorado prison for the ‘crime’ of demanding Honest Elections,” Trump continued. “Today I am granting Tina a full Pardon for her attempts to expose Voter Fraud in the Rigged 2020 Presidential Election!” TRUMP PARDONS RUDY GIULIANI, MARK MEADOWS, SIDNEY POWELL, OTHERS INVOLVED IN 2020 ELECTION INTERFERENCE SAGA Colorado officials and the court argue that the federal government has no jurisdiction over the proceedings and that a pardon applies only to federal cases.  “We’re not surprised by President Trump shouting into the wind and issuing a meaningless pardon for his friend and fellow election denier Tina Peters,” Colorado Democratic Party Chair Shad Murib told Fox News Digital in early December. “The president has no legal authority to demand her release.” In a statement to Fox News Digital, Peters’ attorney, Peter Ticktin, said the pardon should be applicable to state charges.  “I have great confidence that the appeal will be determined in Tina’s favor,” Ticktin explained. “However, the pardon which was issued by the grace of President Trump and for which we are extremely grateful could have put us in a difficult position. “Contrary to Colorado’s governor, we see the pardon as applicable to state charges,” Peters’ attorney added. “Hence, the Colorado Court of Appeals may or may not have jurisdiction to hear the appeal, which has been pending.” The court issued a response, obtained by Fox News Digital, to the motion on Christmas Eve, stating that the prosecution must file a response by early January and did not offer any official stance on the motion.  Peters is expected to spend New Year’s Day in prison as proceedings remain stagnant until the early January deadline.

Trump casts Maduro’s ouster as ‘smart’ move as Russia, China enter the fray

Trump casts Maduro’s ouster as ‘smart’ move as Russia, China enter the fray

President Donald Trump is taking his pressure campaign to the next level against Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and making it clear he doesn’t believe the strongman should be leading the country — all while China and Russia are speaking out on the escalating conflict involving their ally. The Trump administration has launched a series of strikes targeting alleged drug boats off the coast of Latin America in recent months and announced this month a “complete blockade of all sanctioned oil tankers going into and out of Venezuela” as his administration has significantly beefed up its naval assets in the region.  While the Trump administration has said that these efforts align with the administration’s effort to curb the influx of drugs into the U.S., the campaign also appears geared toward removing Maduro from power. This isn’t the first attempt by Trump to squeeze out Maduro. He previously imposed sanctions on Venezuela and backed opposition leader Juan Guaidó during his first term.  As a result, Trump said Monday that Washington’s pressure campaign against Venezuela would “probably” be sufficient to coerce Maduro to step down and made it clear he believes that’s something Maduro should be doing. US COAST GUARD PURSUES THIRD ‘DARK FLEET’ OIL TANKER AS TRUMP TARGETS VENEZUELAN SANCTIONS EVASION NETWORK  “That’s up to him, what he wants to do,” Trump said Monday. “I think it would be smart for him to do that. But, again, we’re going to find out.” The White House has historically refused to comment on whether it is pursuing regime change in Venezuela even though it does not recognize Maduro as a legitimate head of state and insists he is the leader of a drug cartel.  China and Russia are speaking out about U.S. actions in the region, accusing the U.S. of breaking international law after the U.S. seized multiple oil tankers off the coast of Venezuela. The first seizure occurred Dec. 10, and Trump confirmed Monday that the U.S. is still pursuing another oil tanker that a U.S. official told Fox News Digital is a “sanctioned dark fleet vessel that is part of Venezuela’s illegal sanctions evasion.” TRUMP’S VENEZUELA OIL BLOCKADE PUTS CHEVRON IN THE MIDDLE OF A HIGH-STAKES SANCTIONS CRACKDOWN  “The U.S. practice of arbitrarily seizing other countries’ vessels grossly violates international law,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lin Jian told reporters Monday. Jian said Beijing opposes anything that “infringes upon other countries’ sovereignty and security, and all acts of unilateralism or bullying.” Meanwhile, Russia’s Foreign Ministry said Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Venezuela’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Yván Gil spoke over the phone Monday, and the “Russian side reaffirmed its all-out support and solidarity with the leaders and people of Venezuela in the current context.”  “The ministers expressed grave concern in connection with Washington stepping up its escalation actions in the Caribbean, actions fraught with far-reaching consequences for the region and creating a threat for international shipping,” the statement said. MADURO TRAPPED WITH FEW RETALIATION OPTIONS AFTER TRUMP ADMIN SEIZES VENEZUELAN OIL TANKER  Katherine Thompson, a senior fellow in defense and foreign policy studies at the libertarian think tank the Cato Institute, previously told Fox News Digital that adversaries like Russia and China are likely perplexed as to why the Trump administration has zeroed in on the Maduro regime. That’s because Caracas doesn’t jeopardize U.S. interests as much as other actors, in addition to the Trump administration’s “American First” mantra, Thompson said.  “I imagine, for them, it’s probably a bit puzzling if they’re looking at it through a real, brass tacks, realist lens why this administration would be prioritizing ousting the Maduro regime as opposed to conflicts in other theaters,” Thompson said earlier in December.  The Trump administration has conducted nearly 30 strikes in Latin American waters since September as part of its hard-line approach to crack down on the influx of drugs into the U.S.  For example, the Trump administration designated drug cartel groups like Tren de Aragua, Sinaloa and others as foreign terrorist organizations and bolstered its naval assets in the region in recent months, including signing off on the unprecedented step of sending the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford to the region. In addition to the strikes against alleged drug vessels, Trump has suggested for months that strikes on land could be the next step. “We’re knocking out drug boats right now at a level that we haven’t seen,” Trump said Dec. 3. “Very soon we’re going to start doing it on land too.” Although the Trump administration has said it has the authority to conduct these attacks against alleged drug boats, Democrats and some Republicans have questioned the legality of the strikes. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and senators Tim Kaine, D-Va., Adam Schiff, D-Calif., and Rand Paul, R-Ky., introduced a war powers resolution this month to bar Trump from using U.S. armed forces to engage in hostilities within or against Venezuela. Fox News’ Lucas Tomlinson contributed to this report. 

Karoline Leavitt is expecting a baby girl in May 2026, says motherhood is ‘closest thing to Heaven on Earth’

Karoline Leavitt is expecting a baby girl in May 2026, says motherhood is ‘closest thing to Heaven on Earth’

EXCLUSIVE: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt is expecting a baby girl, Fox News Digital has learned.  Leavitt and her husband Nick are expecting their second bundle of joy to be born in May 2026. Their first son, Niko, was born in July 2024. “My husband and I are thrilled to grow our family and can’t wait to watch our son become a big brother,” Leavitt told Fox News Digital. “My heart is overflowing with gratitude to God for the blessing of motherhood, which I truly believe is the closest thing to Heaven on Earth.” Leavitt told Fox News Digital that she is “extremely grateful to President Trump and our amazing Chief of Staff Susie Wiles for their support, and for fostering a pro-family environment in the White House.” “Nearly all of my West Wing colleagues have babies and young children, so we all really support one another as we tackle raising our families while working for the greatest president ever,” Leavitt said. Leavitt added: “2026 is going to be an amazing year for the President and our country, and personally, I am beyond excited to become a girl mom.”  A senior White House official told Fox News Digital that Leavitt will remain in her post as press secretary. Leavitt will be the first pregnant press secretary in U.S. history.

Zelenskyy says he will meet with Trump ‘before the New Year’

Zelenskyy says he will meet with Trump ‘before the New Year’

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has confirmed he will be meeting with President Donald Trump Sunday, likely to discuss security guarantees for Ukraine. “Rustem Umerov reported on his latest contacts with the American side. We are not losing a single day. We have agreed on a meeting at the highest level – with President Trump in the near future. A lot can be decided before the New Year,” Zelenskyy wrote on X. Zelenskyy reportedly confirmed in a WhatsApp chat with Ukrainian journalists that the meeting would take place Sunday, according to NBC News. He told the reporters it is unclear “whether territorial issues will be discussed.” ZELENSKYY ENCOURAGED BY ‘VERY GOOD’ CHRISTMAS TALKS WITH US The meeting could indicate that Russia and Ukraine are closer to a peace deal after Trump said last month that he would not meet with Zelenskyy or Russian President Vladimir Putin until a deal to end the war was final or in its final stages. “Over the past week, my team has made tremendous progress with respect to ending the War between Russia and Ukraine… I look forward to hopefully meeting with President Zelenskyy and President Putin soon, but ONLY when the deal to end this War is FINAL or, in its final stages,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post Nov. 25. On Friday, Zelenskyy also said he had a “very substantive and positive conversation” with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, another sign that Russia and Ukraine could be closer to reaching a deal. “We coordinated our positions ahead of the meetings in Florida, and we must work at maximum productivity in the coming days, as always,” Zelenskyy wrote on X. “Ukraine has never been and will never be an obstacle to peace, and we will continue working efficiently to ensure all necessary documents are prepared as quickly as possible.” UKRAINE, US NEAR 20-POINT PEACE DEAL AS PUTIN SPURNS ZELENSKYY CHRISTMAS CEASEFIRE OFFER The announcement of Sunday’s meeting comes just one day after Zelenskyy expressed optimism about the progress of peace negotiations following a conversation with Jared Kushner and U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff. Zelenskyy said the Christmas conversation centered on ongoing efforts to end the war and move toward a durable, lasting peace. Earlier this week, Zelenskyy said Ukraine and the U.S. were close to finalizing a framework for security guarantees and economic arrangements tied to a possible peace deal. He also stated at a news conference that talks with U.S. officials led to a 20-point plan, reduced from the original 28-point plan that Trump proposed. Kremlin envoy Kirill Dmitriev told reporters in the U.S. Dec. 20 that peace talks with Ukraine were constructive, even as Russian forces launched a missile strike on Odesa that left eight dead and 27 injured. Despite peace talks, Russia’s efforts against Ukraine have continued in their third year of war after Putin’s February 2022 invasion. The White House did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment. Fox News Digital’s Ashley Carnahan and Efrat Lachter contributed to this report.

RFK Jr’s dye-free food vision blocked by Obama-appointed judge

RFK Jr’s dye-free food vision blocked by Obama-appointed judge

Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has spent the first year of President Donald Trump’s second administration trying to implement his Make America Healthy Again (MAHA) vision. But his mission hit a roadblock during the holiday season when an Obama-appointed judge issued a ruling siding with a conglomerate of dye companies to stifle a landmark ban on artificial food additives. During his first trip as America’s lead healthcare official in March, Kennedy spoke in Martinsburg, W.V., alongside Gov. Patrick Morrisey, who said his state’s ban plan and the Democrat scion’s choice to visit the area first shows the “MAHA” movement “begins right here in West Virginia.” By Wednesday, a federal judge in the Mountain State, Judge Irene Berger of the Southern District of West Virginia, blocked those plans, siding with food dye manufacturers and issuing a preliminary injunction halting Charleston’s ability to enforce the policy Morrisey championed at Kennedy’s event. Berger issued a 30-page ruling blocking enforcement of HB 2354, a law drafted by Del. Adam Burkhammer, R-Upshur, which bans food and pharmaceuticals that have been “adulterated” with artificial compounds including butylated hydroxyanisole, Red 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 1, Blue 2 and Green 3. GUT IMBALANCE MAY BE DRIVING AMERICA’S FOOD ALLERGY EPIDEMIC, EXPERTS WARN Knowingly contaminating food with such artificial dyes and compounds would have resulted in a potential misdemeanor charge and $500 fine, according to the Wheeling News-Register. Red 3 is already banned by the FDA, in part due to lab tests on rats that found development of thyroid issues and cancerous side effects, according to NIH and HHS documents. The case was brought by the International Association of Color Manufacturers, a K Street organization that alleged the bill causes economic harm to its member companies, that it lets Charleston “usurp” Washington’s power to regulate food safety and also interferes with interstate commerce, a federal concern. PEPSICO TO REMOVE ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS FROM POPULAR FOOD ITEMS BY END OF 2025 “The statute arbitrarily and irrationally targets color additives no U.S. agency — state or federal — nor any court has ever found to be unsafe,” IACM said in a statement announcing its suit, adding that the ban also lacks “scientific evidence.” While Berger ruled in IACM’s favor, she also rejected their claim that the policy was an unlawful bill-of-attainder, or law singling out a person or group, according to the News-Register. In a statement, Morrisey said he “respectfully disagree[s] with [the] ruling.” LEADING ‘BIOHACKER’ REVEALS WHY RFK JR.’S HEALTH CRUSADE ‘COULDN’T COME AT A BETTER TIME’ “[W]e believe this decision is premature and incorrectly decided. West Virginia will continue to defend its authority to protect the health and well-being of our citizens, especially children,” he said. “We are reviewing our legal options and will continue to press forward with our efforts to get harmful crap out of our food supply.” Fox News Digital reached out to Kennedy’s office for comment. POPULAR SNACK BRAND MAKES BIG CHANGE TO FAVORITE PRODUCT AMID ‘NATURAL SOURCE’ INGREDIENTS PUSH In her ruling, Berger wrote that while several food additives were specifically named in the law, its use of the term “poisonous and injurious” lacked “criteria guiding its determination” — an omission that could unfairly harm dye manufacturers. “If a parent notifies [the West Virginia Department of Health] that they believe their child is sensitive to a color additive, is that a sufficient basis for a color additive to be deemed ‘poisonous and injurious,’ or must the WVDOH conduct a further investigation? It is far from clear,” Berger said, according to West Virginia MetroNews. She also argued that since the law has not taken effect yet, it will not harm Charleston’s ability to regulate public health and safety. JUNK FOOD BANNED FROM SNAP BENEFITS IN 6 MORE STATES, A WIN FOR MAHA ADVOCATES Republicans slammed the ruling, with Del. David Elliott Pritt of Thurmond faulting “Big Food” for challenging the law in the first place. “Imagine being so addicted to profit that you would go to court to fight for your company’s ability to willingly and knowingly continue to poison the kids of this state and nation because you refuse to alter your formulas,” Pritt said, calling that viewpoint “pretty evil.” Some in the private sector have heeded Kennedy’s warnings about the dangers of food additives, with Walmart planning to remove synthetic dyes and some artificial sweeteners and fats from its generic store brands in the U.S. by January, according to Fortune. West Virginia House Health and Human Resources Committee Chairman Evan Worrell, R-Huntington, told MetroNews that the law was never about politics but protecting children from “unnecessary chemical additives” that are already banned in other countries. During his Martinsburg appearance, Kennedy said that the increasing epidemic of social loneliness and “dispossession,” as well as the “crises we have in mental health, in suicide, in ADD, ADHD” are all linked. “And [linked] particularly to the dyes. It’s very clear the dyes that Governor Morrisey is banning … are linked in very strong studies to ADHD and to cancers.” California, Virginia, Utah and Arizona have since sought to enact similar bans largely focused on school lunches.