Texas Weekly Online

Harris blames Trump for latest dreadful jobs report nearly a full term after he left office

Harris blames Trump for latest dreadful jobs report nearly a full term after he left office

Vice President Kamala Harris’ campaign is blaming former President Trump for the latest negative jobs report — nearly a full term after he left office.  “Donald Trump failed Americans as president, costing our economy millions of jobs, and bringing us to the brink of recession,” Harris for President spokesperson James Singer said in a statement.  “Now, he’s promising even more damage with a Project 2025 agenda that will decimate the middle class and increase taxes on working families, while ripping away health care, raising prescription drug costs, and cutting Social Security and Medicare — all while making his billionaire donors richer.”  Singer added: “We’ve made significant progress, but Vice President Harris knows there’s more work to do to lower costs for families.”  US JOB GROWTH SLOWS TO 114K IN JULY WHILE UNEMPLOYMENT UNEXPECTEDLY JUMPS Singer said Harris “will make building up the middle class the defining goal of her presidency, taking on greedy corporations that are price gouging consumers, banning hidden fees, and capping unfair rent increases and drug costs.” The Harris campaign’s comments come as U.S. job growth cooled sharply in July while the unemployment rate unexpectedly rose to the highest level in nearly three years. The Labor Department on Friday reported that employers added 114,000 jobs in July, missing the 175,000 gain forecast by LSEG economists. The unemployment rate also unexpectedly inched higher to 4.3% against expectations that it would hold steady at 4.1%.  It marked the highest level for the jobless rate since October 2021. Friday’s report adds to mounting evidence that the economy is weakening in the face of ongoing inflation and high interest rates. Stock futures plunged as the report reignited fears of an impending recession, with Dow futures shedding more than 500 points.  The weaker-than-expected data also raises questions about whether the Federal Reserve has waited too long to cut interest rates. Policymakers voted at the conclusion of their two-day meeting on Wednesday to hold rates steady at a 23-year high but signaled that they could start loosening policy as soon as September.  1 OF THESE 5 DEMOCRATS COULD BE HARRIS’ RUNNING MATE Health care continued to lead the way in job creation, onboarding 55,000 new workers in July. Other sectors showing notable growth included construction (25,000), the government (17,000) and transportation and warehousing (14,000).  However, there were some notable job losses last month. Information employment declined by 20,000, while financial activities shed 4,000 employees. The report also showed modest revisions. Job gains for June were revised down by a total of 27,000 jobs to 179,000, the government said, while May’s gain also came in slightly lower at 216,000 jobs. The Trump campaign blamed the Biden-Harris administration.  “Kamala Harris has proudly and repeatedly celebrated her role as Joe Biden’s co-pilot on ‘Bidenomics,’” Karoline Leavitt, Trump Campaign National Press Secretary, said in a statement. “She cast tie-breaking votes in the Senate for spending that put inflation on steroids, and despite the evidence that America’s working families are hurting she tells us these failed plans are working.”  She added: “The basic necessities of food, gas and housing are less affordable, unemployment is rising, and Kamala doesn’t seem to care.” Fox Business’ Megan Henney contributed to this report. 

‘Band of killers’: Major House committee launches probe into ‘unconscionable’ 9/11 plea deal

‘Band of killers’: Major House committee launches probe into ‘unconscionable’ 9/11 plea deal

FIRST ON FOX: A top House committee is launching an investigation into the U.S. government’s plea deal with the three alleged terrorists behind the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks. Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Ala., of the House Armed Services Committee, wrote to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Thursday demanding documents related to the plea deal, including “all documents and communications containing terms, conditions, agreements, side-deals, or any mutually developed, related, conditional, or linked agreements with any party relating to terms and conditions of the plea agreements.” Rogers also asked for records of communications spanning the Biden administration regarding the plea deal, which he called “unconscionable.” “I, along with much of our nation and Congress, are deeply shocked and angered by news that the terrorist mastermind and his associates who planned the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, which killed nearly 3000 innocent people, were offered a plea deal,” Rogers wrote in the letter, first obtained by Fox News Digital.  9/11 FAMILIES OUTRAGED AFTER ALLEGED MASTERMIND, 2 OTHERS GET PLEA DEALS: ‘WE NEED A DAY IN COURT’ “Tragically, the news is a ‘gut punch’ to many of the victims’ families.”  It comes after the Pentagon announced that three alleged plotters of the Sept. 11 attacks, who were awaiting trial in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, entered into pretrial agreements with the U.S. government. The details of the plea deals for Khalid Shaikh Mohammad, Walid Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin Attash and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi were not immediately made public. The three are accused of providing assistance, including training and financial support, to the al Qaeda hijackers who crashed passenger jets into the World Trade Center towers in New York City and the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, nearly 23 years ago. Another plane, thought to be aimed at the U.S. Capitol, crashed into a field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after passengers and crew overwhelmed the terrorists. Everyone aboard was killed. LAWMAKERS, FAMILIES OF 9/11 VICTIMS REACT TO PLEA DEAL WITH TERRORISTS: ‘SLAP IN THE FACE’ “It is unconscionable that the Biden-Harris Administration would allow such a plea deal. You, Mr. Secretary, are the Cabinet Member with ultimate oversight of the Office of Military Commissions. Your Department allowed a plea deal with Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and his band of killers,” Rogers wrote Thursday. “Deals like this give hope to terrorists throughout the world that America is not willing to hold the worst of the worst accountable for their wicked crimes. In short, this deal signals willingness to negotiate with terrorists who deliberately harm Americans.” The Pentagon declined to comment on the letter when asked by Fox News Digital, explaining, “As with all congressional correspondence, the Department will respond directly to the Members.” FBI DIRECTOR WARNS OF JIHADIST ATTACK IN US, SIMILAR TO RUSSIAN CONCERT HALL: ‘HEIGHTENED TERRORIST THREAT’ Rogers’ investigation comes as the House Oversight Committee launched a parallel probe into the plea deals, with Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., writing a letter to President Biden on Friday. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP  Brett Eagleson, the president of a grassroots group made up of victims’ families called 9/11 Justice, said he was “deeply troubled” by the plea deals in a statement on Thursday. “While we acknowledge the decision to avoid the death penalty, our primary concern remains access to these individuals for information. These plea deals should not perpetuate a system of closed-door agreements, where crucial information is hidden without giving the families of the victims the chance to learn the full truth,” Eagleson said.

Harris’ top 3 VP hopefuls either cancel or shorten weekend events ahead of big announcement

Harris’ top 3 VP hopefuls either cancel or shorten weekend events ahead of big announcement

Several of Vice President Kamala Harris’ top candidates for vice president have cleared their schedules ahead of her highly anticipated running mate announcement. Govs. Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania and Andy Beshear of Kentucky, and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg – the three candidates on Harris’ shortlist for vice president, all made scheduling changes ahead of the weekend. Shapiro was originally scheduled to make three appearances at weekend fundraising events in the Hamptons in New York, but his spokesperson said his schedule has since changed. “The governor’s trip was planned several weeks ago and included several fundraisers for his own campaign committee,” Manuel Bonder, a spokesman for Shapiro, told The New York Times. “His schedule has changed, and he is no longer traveling to the Hamptons this weekend.” MOST FAVORED CANDIDATE OF HARRIS’ VP SHORTLIST UNVEILED IN NEW POLL Beshear will also be missing two events over the weekend: a Jackson Purchase Distillery visit on Friday and the state’s annual Fancy Farm Picnic on Saturday. WHITE HOUSE, HARRIS SILENT ON OLYMPICS GENDER CONTROVERSY AS TRUMP VOWS TO ‘PROTECT WOMEN AND GIRLS’ Fox News Digital reached out to the Kentucky governor’s office asking the reasoning behind not attending the events but did not receive a response. Additionally, Buttigieg shortened an event on Friday at Ivy Tech Community College Kokomo, according to Politico. Harris will hold her first public appearance with her running mate on Tuesday in Philadelphia to kick off a four-day, battleground state tour.

Trump shooting task force missing this critical component, House GOP military veteran says

Trump shooting task force missing this critical component, House GOP military veteran says

EXCLUSIVE: Former Navy SEAL Rep. Eli Crane, R-Ariz., is concerned that the bipartisan House task force to investigate the attempted assassination of former President Trump is missing a critical component in terms of the experience of its members. “I did reach out to the speaker and volunteered, and reminded the speaker that I was…one of the snipers in Congress. I think there’s only three of us. So clearly it’s not about me,” Crane told Fox News Digital in an interview. “I think there’s three – myself, [Rep. Cory Mills, R-Fla., and Rep. Morgan Luttrell, R-Texas]. If even one of us was put on that committee, I think it would have shown that they were actually trying to put at least a cross-section of experience on the committee. But that didn’t happen.” Crane argued that the circumstances of the shooting – a 20-year-old gunman firing an AR-style rifle from 400 to 500 feet away from Trump, then subsequently being killed by a Secret Service sniper – added to the need for someone with his experience. BUTLER DISTRICT ATTORNEY SAYS LOCAL SNIPERS WERE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ROOFTOP SHOOTER FIRED FROM  “I am a former Navy SEAL sniper. The actual term would be NSW, Naval Special Warfare sniper. I graduated from sniper school in 2009 and went to several other advanced sniper schools. And I think the reason that it’s important is because, obviously…the alleged individual that tried to kill the president, did take a shot at the president, was training prior to taking a shot at the president,” Crane said. “You’re dealing with counter sniper teams. You’re dealing with the advance work that was done, you’re dealing with, you know, someone who can cite angles, trajectories – all sorts of things that snipers have to be proficient and experienced in. And so I don’t know, it just kind of makes sense that in this specific case, you would probably want people to have that background and experience on your task force.” The task force, comprised of six Democrats and seven Republicans, was announced by Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., after a unanimous House vote to commission it.  Crane and Mills are aiming to launch a parallel probe to make up for what they see are shortfalls on the existing task force, Mills indicated on X Monday. TRUMP ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT VICTIM SAYS HE IS ‘SAD’ WITH STATE OF ‘POLITICAL DIVISION’ IN US  “I wish the members of [the] Task Force well, and think it’s time for a parallel independent investigation with subject matter experts (SME) and the whistleblowers who’ve already come forward,” Mills wrote, adding that he and Crane had already heard from people in those groups. The current task force is led by Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Pa., whose district the shooting took place in and who has deep ties with the local law enforcement who were also charged with security that day, and Rep. Jason Crow, D-Colo., a retired Army Ranger with combat experience in Iraq and Afghanistan. The panel also includes several other veterans, including Homeland Security Committee Chairman Mark Green, R-Tenn., Rep. Mike Waltz, R-Fla., and Rep. Chrissy Houlahan, D-Pa. It also includes legal experts like Crow, a lawyer, and Rep. Glenn Ivey, D-Md., a former assistant district attorney. IRAN THREAT PROMPTS QUESTIONS ABOUT TRUMP GUNMAN’S UNCRACKED ENCRYPTION But both Mills and Crane accused House leaders of political motivations in selecting the task force. “I think some of the most qualified people were clearly left off of there. And so, like many things in Washington, there’s a lot of politics that went into the formation of…that task force,” Crane said.  He said “several” other “pretty impressive” lawmakers share their concerns. Jeffries, Johnson, Kelly and Crow have all emphasized that they want the probe to be free of politics. Crow told Fox News Digital earlier this week that it would be a “robust and serious” investigation. Jeffries’ office declined to comment when reached by Fox News Digital. Johnson’s office did not return a request for comment. When asked whether he was concerned that setting up their own GOP-led probe could itself be viewed as political, Crane said, “I’m not really worried about it, but is it possible? Absolutely.”  But panel member Waltz told Fox News Digital he was not worried about either investigation politicizing the other. “Look, if we have folks that want to bring in – like, Representative Cory Mills, who I plan to call on his expertise as a former sniper, Representative Eli Crane, former Navy SEAL sniper – look, I mean, we should be using their expertise,” Waltz said. “If they want to bring outside experts from their networks – I think this is an all-of-the-above approach. So the more eyeballs looking at it, the better.”

Flashback: Harris campaign shared study touting ‘electoral’ benefits of not deporting illegal immigrants

Flashback: Harris campaign shared study touting ‘electoral’ benefits of not deporting illegal immigrants

FIRST ON FOX: Then-Sen. Kamala Harris’ 2019 presidential campaign website linked to a study touting what it called the “electoral implications” of not deporting some illegal immigrants, saying that the policy “could provide sizable contributions to the margin of victory in swing states.” Harris’ campaign website touted a “new roadmap to citizenship for Dreamers,” referring to illegal immigrants who came to the country as children. Her plan called for a pathway to citizenship for those who entered the U.S. illegally and protection from deportation for illegal immigrant parents of U.S. citizens and green card holders. “We estimate the plan will protect over 6 million immigrants from deportation, add up to $445 billion to U.S. GDP over ten years, and provide America’s 2.1 million Dreamers a path to citizenship if they have a congressionally-required family- or employment-based grounds to adjust status,” her website said. VANCE BORDER SPEECH HITS HARRIS IN LATEST BARRAGE OF ATTACKS BETWEEN CAMPAIGNS ON MIGRANT CRISIS  That paragraph linked to two studies by the Center for American Progress, including one that looked at the Obama-era Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents [DAPA] program. DAPA, the companion of a similar program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, for those who came as children, was subsequently found to be unconstitutional. However, the 2015 study touted not only the economic benefits of DAPA, but also the “electoral implications” of protecting them from deportation. “Implementing DAPA is not only the right thing to do for families and the economy—it also has key electoral implications,” the study said. It went on to say that there are 3.7 million people who would benefit from DAPA, who have 5.5 million U.S. citizen children. 2024 SHOWDOWN: TRUMP CAMPAIGN REJOICES AFTER HARRIS LEANS IN ON KEY ISSUE HAUNTING HER VICE PRESIDENCY “More than half a million of these children – nearly 600,000 – are currently of voting age, and 1.7 million will be of voting age by the 2020 presidential election. These numbers could provide sizable contributions to the margin of victory in swing states,” it says. “In Florida during the 2012 presidential election, for example, these new voters would have comprised 70 percent of the margin of victory; in North Carolina, they would have represented one-third of the margin of victory. These figures do not take into account other citizen members of “mixed-status” households that include DAPA-eligible individuals—voters who would also feel the effect of DAPA implementation,” it says. CLICK HERE FOR MORE COVERAGE OF THE BORDER SECURITY CRISIS Harris has continued to support various protections and pathways to citizenship for illegal immigrants. The Biden administration, on day one in office, introduced legislation that would grant a pathway to citizenship to millions of illegal immigrants already in the U.S. In a statement in June, she said that “there is more work to be done to fix our broken immigration system.” “That includes the need for a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers. President Biden and I continue to call on the United States Congress to join us in acting by passing permanent protections for Dreamers,” she said. The Harris campaign did not respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.