Trump blows past Biden in June fundraising race, with July numbers expected to be worse for Democrats

Former President Donald Trump has surpassed President Biden’s longtime fundraising lead, according to donation filings from June. Republicans hauled in $66 million throughout the month, propelling Trump’s campaign past the current president’s. June saw the GOP’s biggest monthly haul since 2020, according to the Washington Post. The latest data comes after Trump’s campaign boasted of out-raising Biden for most of the summer. Trump’s campaign announced in early July that it and the Republican National Committee hauled in a staggering $331 million during the April through June second quarter of 2024 fundraising, topping the massive $264 million raked in by the Biden campaign and the Democratic National Committee over the same period. And the former president’s campaign spotlighted that it had $284.9 million in its coffers as of the end of June, compared to $240 million for Biden. AMBER ROSE CLAPS BACK AT JOY REID AFTER CRITICIZING CONVENTION SPEECH: ‘STOP BEING A RACE BAITER’ Meanwhile, Biden’s campaign teeters against waves of Democratic lawmakers calling on him to withdraw. Even Biden’s nominal allies in Congress have failed to give him ringing endorsements. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., repeatedly saying on Saturday that he’s “our nominee” but he also had a “big decision to make.” WATCH: 5 OF THE MOST INFLAMMATORY MOMENTS FROM MSNBC HOSTS DURING THE RNC Warren also seemed to endorse Vice President Kamala Harris being the replacement if Biden did step down, singing her praises as an ideal candidate to prosecute the Democratic case against former President Trump. “Joe Biden is our nominee, and he has a really big decision to make. Joe Biden has been a transformational president,” Warren told MSNBC, going on to praise his record. “I am deeply grateful to Joe Biden for all that he has accomplished.” In the face of mounting numbers of Democrats calling on him to step down for fear he’ll lose to Trump, Biden has repeatedly insisted he is staying in the race. Yet Warren, sounding like reportedly skeptical former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., earlier this month, appeared to give Biden yet another off-ramp. AOC CALLS ‘BULL—-’ ON DEMOCRATS PRIVATELY TURNING ON BIDEN “Joe Biden is our nominee. As I said before, he has a really big decision to make,” she said. “But what gives me a lot of hope right now is that if President Biden decides to step back, we have Vice President Kamala Harris who is ready to step up, to unite the party, to take on Donald Trump, and to win in November. Remember, 80 million people voted for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in 2020.” Warren’s interview came on the heels of Sens. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, Martin Heinrich, D-N.M., and Jon Tester, D-Mont., calling for Biden to leave the race this week, joining dozens of House Democrats, Fox News Digital previously reported. Fox News’ David Rutz and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report
Kerala: 14-year-old boy who tested positive for Nipah virus dies

The 14-year-old boy who was tested positive for Nipah virus at the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital succumbed to the disease on Sunday afternoon,
Haryana: Internet, SMS suspended for 24 hours in Nuh due to…

The internet service in the district will remain suspended from 6 pm Sunday to 6 pm Monday.
Mumbai Rains: Heavy rainfall lashes city, Andheri subway shut, several areas flooded; flight diverted

As heavy rainfall and thunderstorms lash city, with the Andheri subway being shut, and waterlogging in Dadar East, Marine Drive, and Lower Parel areas, the Mumbai police issued an advisory on Sunday.
Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 877

As the war enters its 877th day, these are the main developments. This is where the war stands on Sunday, July 21, 2024: Fighting Russian missiles and artillery fire in northeast Ukraine killed at least two people before dawn, according to law enforcement agencies. The northeast Kharkiv regional prosecutor’s office said two men, aged 48 and 69, were killed and about 50 buildings were damaged in the attack, apparently using three Russian Iskander missiles. Separate artillery shelling killed a 44-year-old man in the city of Nikopol, in the south of the country, national police said. The death toll in a Russian attack on Friday on a playground in the southern city of Mykolaiv rose to four, including one child, with 24 injured, Mayor Oleksander Senkevitch posted on the Telegram messaging app. Air defence systems destroyed 35 of the 39 attack drones that Russia launched overnight, Ukraine’s air force said on Telegram. Russia launched its fifth drone attack on Kyiv in two weeks, with Ukraine’s air defence systems destroying all the air weapons before they could reach the capital, Ukraine’s military said. No casualties or damage was reported, Serhiy Popko, head of Kyiv’s military administration, said on Telegram. Russia’s air defence systems destroyed eight Ukrainian drones overnight, the Russian Ministry of Defence said. Three of the drones were destroyed over the Belgorod region, which borders Ukraine, and three were intercepted in the Black Sea, the ministry said on Telegram. Cyberspace Spanish police said they arrested three people accused of taking part in cyberattacks by a pro-Russian group targeting public institutions and strategic sectors in Spain and other NATO countries. Two of the suspects were arrested in Huelva and Seville in southern Spain, while the third was detained in the Balearic Islands, a Civil Guard statement said. They were accused of “computer-related offences with terrorist intent” over a string of distributed denial-of-service attacks, which make websites or network resources unavailable by flooding them with malicious traffic. Adblock test (Why?)
Bangladesh top court scraps job quotas that caused deadly unrest

BREAKINGBREAKING, The top court scales back – but does not abolish – a contentious quota system that sparked deadly protests. Bangladesh’s Supreme Court has scrapped most of the quotas on government jobs that led to student-led protests in which more than 100 people have been killed, according to local media. The court’s Appellate Division dismissed a lower court order that had reinstated the quotas last month. Attorney General AM Amin Uddin told the AFP news agency: “The Supreme Court has said the High Court verdict was illegal.” He added that 5 percent of civil service jobs would remain reserved for children of independence war veterans and 2 percent for other categories. Previously, 30 percent of the jobs were reserved for the relatives of war veterans. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s government scrapped the quota system in 2018, but the lower court reinstated it last month, sparking deadly protests and an ensuing government crackdown. The verdict comes after weeks of demonstrations — mostly led by students — against the quota system they believe is discriminatory. Protesters argued the quota system benefits supporters of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, whose Awami League party led the independence movement, saying it should be replaced with a merit-based system. Hasina defended the quota system, saying that veterans deserve the highest respect for their contributions in the war against Pakistan, regardless of their political affiliation. Last week the protests grew increasingly violent, with police firing tear gas and rubber bullets and hurling smoke grenades to scatter the activists who filled the streets and university campuses. On Friday a crowd of thousands besieged a prison in the central district of Narsingdi armed with machetes and steel rods, freeing more than 800 prisoners before setting part of the facility ablaze. The demonstrations are the biggest to rock Bangladesh since Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was re-elected to a fourth successive term this year. Full curfew To restore calm, Bangladesh imposed a full curfew ahead of the High Court ruling, which is to remain in place until at least 3pm (09:00 GMT) Sunday. Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan said the curfew would be eased for two hours between 3pm to 5pm (09:00-11:00 GMT) for people to stock up on supplies before continuing for an “uncertain time”. The government also cut of phone and internet connections, creating an “information blackout”, reported Al Jazeera’s Tanvir Chowohury from the capital Dhaka. The harsh crackdown has fuelled even more anger towards the government, pushing protesters to move beyond calling for quota reform to demanding the whole government’s resignation. “It’s not just the issue of quotas right now. Many people died. Property was destroyed. And there’s an information blackout,” Chowohury told Al Jazeera. “We still don’t know the full account of the death toll and casualties from the last few days.” ‘At a crossroads’ Ali Riaz, professor and political scientist at Illinois State University, said the protest movement has “transformed” into an existential threat for the government, which has called on protesters to await the outcome of today’s verdict. “Bangladesh is standing at a crossroads,” Riaz told Al Jazeera. “I think the government will survive politically speaking… on the other hand if the protesters can persevere, they might actually push the government to resign.” It was not immediately clear how protesters would react to the court’s decision. Hasina’s government has declared Sunday and Monday as public holidays, with only emergency services allowed to operate. Adblock test (Why?)
More than 20 killed in Bolivia’s worst road accident this year

Initial investigation shows that the truck had crossed into the opposite lane while trying to overtake another vehicle. A head-on collision between a truck and a bus on a highway in the Bolivian Andes has killed 22 people and injured 16 in the country’s worst road accident this year, according to police. Fourteen of the dead have been identified so far, police said on Sunday, with Chile’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs saying there was at least one Chilean national among them. Earlier, officials said the drivers of both vehicles were among the dead. The accident happened on a road between Bolivia‘s town of Patacamaya and the town of Tambo Quemado in northern Chile, according to Unitel channel. The bus had been heading towards Chile on the busy commercial and tourism route linking the two South American countries. The initial investigation showed that the truck had crossed into the opposite lane while trying to overtake a vehicle, traffic officer Nilo Torrico said. “This truck made a prohibited manoeuvre and, as a result, we have this unfortunate accident,” he said. Images of the accident shared by Unitel showed the bus with its front section shattered and the smashed truck. Some bodies were seen on the road. First responders were working to remove bodies trapped in the destroyed vehicles, Torrico said. Bolivia sees about 1,400 traffic deaths each year, government statistics show. Accidents are mainly due to poor driving and mechanical failures. A collision on a busy road in southwestern Bolivia on April 4 killed 14 people and left two injured. Adblock test (Why?)
First Congressional Democrat calls for Secret Service director to resign over Trump assassination attempt

Rep. Brendan Boyle, D-Penn., is calling on Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle to resign following an assassination attempt against former President Trump at a campaign rally last weekend in Pennsylvania. Boyle is the first Congressional Democrat to urge Cheatle to step down. “I am calling on Director Cheatle to resign immediately following last weekend’s shooting of a Presidential candidate in Western Pennsylvania,” Boyle said in a statement on Saturday. “The evidence coming to light has shown unacceptable operational failures,” he continued. “I have no confidence in the leadership of the United States Secret Service if Director Cheatle chooses to remain in her position.” TRUMP TELLS JESSE WATTERS THAT HE WAS NOT WARNED ABOUT GUNMAN, DESPITE REPORTS Trump survived an assassination attempt at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on July 13, when gunman Thomas Matthew Crooks opened fire from the top of a building. One rally spectator was killed shielding his wife and daughter from the gunfire, while several others were injured, including Trump, who suffered injuries to his ear. The Secret Service has faced intense criticism in the aftermath of the shooting over concerns about how Crooks was able to gain access to the rooftop that had a line of sight to Trump as he was speaking at the rally. Several Republicans, including House Speaker Mike Johnson of Louisiana and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, have called for new leadership at the Secret Service following the shooting. “Last week’s near-assassination of former President Trump was a grave attack on American democracy,” McConnell wrote Wednesday on the social media platform X. “The nation deserves answers and accountability. New leadership at the Secret Service would be an important step in that direction.” But Cheatle said she has no plans of stepping down from her position. “I do plan to stay on,” she told ABC News. SECRET SERVICE RESPONDS TO REPORT THEY ‘REPEATEDLY’ DENIED REQUESTS TO TRUMP SECURITY DETAIL IN THE PAST Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said he has “100% confidence” in the Secret Service after the shooting. The Secret Service operates under DHS. President Biden directed an independent review of security at the rally. Cheatle said in a statement last week that the Secret Service will cooperate in the independent review and work with Congress on any oversight action. Republican lawmakers have vowed to conduct congressional investigations into the shooting, and Cheatle is expected to testify before the House Oversight Committee on Monday. “Americans demand answers from Director Kimberly Cheatle about the Secret Service’s historic security failures that led to the attempted assassination of President Trump, murder of an innocent victim, and harm to others in the crowd,” Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., said in a statement. “We look forward to Director Cheatle’s testimony on Monday, July 22 to deliver the transparency and accountability that Americans deserve.”
Delhi-Meerut expressway to remain shut for heavy vehicles for 5 days due to…

The Delhi-Meerut Highway will be closed for five days starting July 28 with traffic being diverted to NH-9.
All-party meet underway, Congress seeks Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker’s post for opposition; raises NEET issue

Samajwadi Party MP Ramgopal Yadav, sources said, raised the issue of the Uttar Pradesh government’s controversial directive to eateries on the kanwariya route to display the owners’ names.