Former Dem Rep. Mary Peltola announces U.S. Senate run: ‘Put Alaska first’

Former Rep. Mary Peltola on Monday announced her intent to run for a U.S. Senate seat to represent Alaska, in a race to unseat two-term GOP Sen. Dan Sullivan. In a two-minute video, Peltola cited “scarcity” and inflation as problems Alaskans currently face. “Growing up, Alaska was a place of abundance. Now, we have scarcity,” Peltola said. “The salmon, large game, and migratory birds that used to fill our freezers are harder to find. So we buy more groceries, with crushing prices.” ALASKA NATIVES DEFY DEMOCRATS, CHAMPION PUSH TO REVIVE ARCTIC DRILLING THAT BIDEN SHUT DOWN Peltola previously served in the House as Alaska’s lone representative. She won a special 2022 election and full term later that same year in which she defeated four other candidates, including former Gov. Sarah Palin. She lost her House seat in 2024 to Republican challenger Nick Begich III. Peltola pointed to the state’s two late Republicans as examples of what happened to lawmakers with agendas in Washington who put politics over the needs of the state. “Our delegation used to stand up to their party and put Alaska first,” Peltola said. “Ted Stevens and Don Young ignored Lower 48 partisanship to fight for things like public media and disaster relief because Alaska depends on them.” TRUMP ADMIN ANNOUNCES BIG STEP TOWARD ‘ENERGY DOMINANCE’ WITH MASSIVE ALASKA LNG PROJECT ALLIANCE “Ted Stevens often said, ‘to hell with politics, put Alaska first’,” she added. “It’s about time Alaskans teach the rest of the country what Alaska First and, really, America First looks like.” Peltola’s announcement comes as Democrats are getting ready to try and take back both chambers of Congress in November’s midterm elections. In a video last month posted online by the Democratic-aligned super PAC Senate Majority PAC, the group chided Sullivan for voting for higher costs for health care and other essentials. In response, Sullivan, while standing on skis, boasted about tax cuts and railed about Democrats and the Biden administration for policies he said didn’t benefit Alaska. “They want what Democrats always want when they’re in charge in D.C.,” Sullivan said, referring to at least 70 executive orders signed by Biden that he said negatively impacted Alaska.
Democrats’ own words back up Trump action in Venezuela, top intel lawmaker says

FIRST ON FOX: House Intelligence Committee Chairman Rick Crawford, R-Ark., will submit a resolution on Monday praising the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro — relying entirely on past comments made by Democrats to do so. Crawford observed that calls to end Maduro’s tenure in Venezuela used to carry ample bipartisan support and had been the focus of at least eight bills sponsored by Democrats in recent years. “All this resolution does is reiterate the overall consensus of Republicans and Democrats in the House of Representatives, evidenced by the legislation introduced over the last [four] years, that Nicolás Maduro was a threat to the national security of the United States and the well-being of the people of Venezuela, and therefore President Trump’s decisive action should be applauded,” Crawford said in a statement. TRUMP DECLARES HIMSELF VENEZUELA’S ‘ACTING PRESIDENT’ IN ONLINE POST AFTER MADURO OUSTER The text obtained by Fox News Digital listed out the many reasons Democrats had included in their bills. One such piece of legislation, introduced by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., called for ‘‘ending Nicolás Maduro’s usurpation of presidential authorities,” citing Maduro’s undermining of his own country’s electoral process. Another, authored by Rep. Haley Stevens, D-Mich., slammed the Venezuelan government’s kidnapping practices, demanding Maduro’s regime be designated a “state sponsor of wrongful detention.” Crawford’s resolution comes as Democrats in Congress have blasted the Trump administration’s operation in Venezuela, characterizing the capture of Maduro earlier this month as an act of war that should have required congressional approval. Republicans have pushed back, arguing Trump used narrowly tailored force to bring a well-known criminal to justice. Crawford’s resolution highlights comments that illustrate how Democrats used to share a similar understanding. Sen. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., framed Maduro as a threat to the United States in a bill from 2024. “Elissa Slotkin introduced legislation in the 118th Congress that defined ‘Venezuelan politician Nicolás Maduro’ as a person of concern who has engaged in a ‘long-term pattern or serious instances of activity adverse to the national security of the United States,’” the bill reads. GOP EYES VENEZUELA’S UNTAPPED OIL WEALTH AS DEMOCRATS SOUND ALARM OVER TAXPAYER RISK Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., included almost identical language in a bill of her own. “[DeLauro] introduced legislation that similarly redefined Maduro’s regime as one that had ‘a long-term pattern of serious instances of conduct significantly adverse to the national security of the United States or the security and safety of United States persons,’” Crawford’s bill pointed out. Crawford believes those comments fly in the face of the way Democrats are framing the attack now. He pointed to a post on X made by the top Democrat in the House. “In the aftermath of Nicolás Maduro’s arrest, Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries said, ‘This wasn’t a law enforcement action. They’re lying to the American people when they say that,’” the bill states. MARCO RUBIO EMERGES AS KEY TRUMP POWER PLAYER AFTER VENEZUELA OPERATION Crawford included more comments in Monday’s resolution. “Representative Delia Ramirez posted to X, ‘under the guise of liberty, an administration of warmongers has lied to justify an invasion and is dragging us into an illegal, endless war,’” the text reads. Crawford believes Trump has done exactly what Democrats had demanded. “Democrats have introduced numerous pieces of legislation condemning the Maduro regime, declaring Maduro an illegitimate president, and urging the U.S. to take decisive action,” Crawford said. “Under President Trump’s leadership, the U.S. took control of the situation to secure our Western Hemisphere neighborhood, sending a powerful message to adversaries around the world, even contemplating nefarious moves in our neighborhood,” Crawford said.
Venezuela says over 100 political prisoners released; pope meets Machado

Penitentiary Services Ministry says those freed had been ‘deprived of their liberty’ for acts associated with disrupting the constitutional order. Published On 12 Jan 202612 Jan 2026 Click here to share on social media share2 Share At least 116 prisoners have been released in Venezuela after their arrests during the presidency of Nicolas Maduro, the government has announced, nine days after the United States abducted Maduro. Venezuela’s Ministry of Penitentiary Services reported on Monday that the prisoners had been released “in the past few hours”. It followed a similar release a few days ago. Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of list The ministry added that those freed had been “deprived of their liberty for acts associated with disrupting the constitutional order and undermining the stability of the nation”. Two Italian citizens were also released, and Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani pledged to upgrade Rome’s relations with Caracas in response. Dozens of dual Italian-Venezuelan nationals remain in prison. However, the Foro Penal group, a human rights organisation, contended earlier on Monday that only 41 people had been released, including 24 people freed overnight. The release of political prisoners in Venezuela has been a long-running call of human rights groups, international bodies and opposition figures. Human rights groups estimated there are 800 to 1,200 political prisoners in Venezuela. The releases, which began on Thursday, came after pressure by US President Donald Trump, who stated that Washington was “in charge” of the Latin American country following the military operation on January 3 to abduct Maduro, which sparked global protests and criticism. Maduro now faces drug-trafficking charges and is currently being held in a prison in New York. Advertisement On Saturday, Trump celebrated the release of the prisoners in what he called a “big way”. He added that he hopes those freed “will remember how lucky they got that the USA came along and did what had to be done”. A papal audience In the meantime, Venezuelan opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Corina Machado met with Pope Leo XIV during a private audience on Monday. So far, few details have been released about the meeting. On Friday, the pontiff called for Venezuela’s sovereignty to be protected and issued an appeal “to respect the will of the Venezuelan people and to safeguard the human and civil rights of all.” Machado, who is currently touring Europe, is expected to meet with Trump this week after he said on January 3 that she did not have the support or respect to lead the country. She had dedicated her Nobel Peace Prize to Trump, who deeply covets the honour himself. The Venezuelan opposition, which has been supported by Republican and Democratic administrations in the US, had pledged to replace Maduro with one of their own. However, after the abduction of Maduro, Trump sidestepped the group, and Vice President Delcy Rodriguez became interim president. Adblock test (Why?)
Israel considers plan to expand settlement in occupied East Jerusalem

NewsFeed Israeli municipal authorities are discussing plans to advance an illegal settlement in occupied East Jerusalem. Al Jazeera’s Nida Ibrahim reports from Kufr Aqab, near the site where Israel may demolish more Palestinian homes to make space for settlers. Published On 12 Jan 202612 Jan 2026 Click here to share on social media share2 Share Adblock test (Why?)
Cuban president says no talks with US amid Trump’s escalating threats

Diaz-Canel rejects Trump’s threats, emphasising Cuba’s independence and commitment to defending its sovereignty. By News Agencies Published On 12 Jan 202612 Jan 2026 Click here to share on social media share2 Share Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has said that there are no current talks between Havana and the United States, as US President Donald Trump ratchets up threats against Cuba following his attack on Venezuela. Diaz-Canel stated in a social media post on Monday that routine coordination on immigration continues between Cuba and the US, but that no larger talks are currently taking place. Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of list “We have always been willing to maintain serious and responsible dialogue with the various US administrations, including the current one, on the basis of sovereign equality, mutual respect and the principles of international law,” Diaz-Canel said. He added that relations between the US and Cuba should be based on international law rather than “hostility, threats, and economic coercion”. Trump has said that the US could ramp up pressure on Cuba after the US abduction of Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro in a January 3 attack that killed at least 100 people, including 32 members of the Cuban security forces in the country for security cooperation. The US president stated on Sunday that Venezuelan oil supplies to Cuba would be cut off and that the government in Havana should “make a deal” with the US before it’s “too late”. Trump also told reporters that the US was “talking to Cuba” without offering further details. Diaz-Canel responded to Trump’s comments on Sunday by saying that Cuba was a “free, independent, and sovereign” country and would defend itself “to the last drop of blood”. Venezuelan oil was an important economic lifeline to Cuba, isolated and under heavy US sanctions, providing 35,000 barrels of oil per day before the US attack, according to estimates from Jorge Pinon of the Energy Institute at the University of Texas at Austin. Advertisement Pinon, who tracks the shipments, also estimates that Mexico supplies Cuba with approximately 5,500 barrels of oil per day, while Russia supplies 7,500. Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has previously said that the US attack on Venezuela has increased the relative importance of Mexican oil to Cuba, but that Mexico has not increased oil sales to Havana. Sheinbaum, who has responded to recent threats from Trump of possible military strikes against criminal groups on Mexican soil with a firm insistence on the country’s sovereignty, said that she spoke with Trump on Monday to discuss cooperation on issues such as commerce, security, and drug trafficking. “We had a very good conversation with US President Donald Trump,” Sheinbaum said in a social media post, adding that the talks included a discussion of security “with respect to our sovereignties”. “Collaboration and cooperation within a framework of mutual respect always yield results,” she said. Adblock test (Why?)
Fact Check: Were Indians arrested during Iran protests? Iranian ambassador sets record straight

The protests, which began over worsening economic conditions on the 28th of December and have since evolved into broader demonstrations opposing the leadership of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Vande Bharat Sleeper Train: No RAC, no VIP quota; Why it is expensive than Rajdhani Express? Fare sturcture explained

The Vande Bharat Sleeper will operate with a limited set of reservation quotas, covering senior citizens, women passengers, persons with disabilities (PwD), and the duty pass quota.
Who is Rikshit Chauhan? Merchant Navy officer from Himachal detained after US seizes Russian oil tanker

Rikshit’s family has appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister (EAM) S Jaishankar to ensure his safe return home. “We talked to Rikshit for the last time on January 7 and are praying to God for his safe return,” his mother Reeta Devi said.
Former Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar admitted to AIIMS Delhi after suffering bouts of unconsciousness

Dhankhar, aged 74, will undergo an MRI scan after he fell unconscious twice in the last week, reports said. On Saturday (January 10), Dhankhar had “two bouts of unconsciousness” when he went to use the washroom, reports said.
Mamata Banerjee intensifies attack on EC, flags ‘logical discrepancy’ in letter to CEC over SIR in West Bengal

In the fifth letter to Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee stepped up his attack on the Election Commission over “logical discrepancy” in Special Intensive Revision in West Bengal.