Texas Weekly Online

US launches ‘vengeance’ attack on ISIS targets after National Guard soldiers killed

US launches ‘vengeance’ attack on ISIS targets after National Guard soldiers killed

The U.S. conducted military strikes against the Islamic State in Syria on Friday, following on a promise by President Donald Trump to avenge the deaths of two Iowa National Guard soldiers killed in a terrorist attack in that country last week.  American military forces employed more than 100 precision munitions to strike more than 70 targets of suspected ISIS sites at several locations across the ancient city of Palmyra in central Syria as part of “Operation Hawkeye Storm,” referring to Iowa, which is known as the Hawkeye State.  “Earlier today, U.S. forces commenced OPERATION HAWKEYE STRIKE in Syria to eliminate ISIS fighters, infrastructure, and weapons sites in direct response to the attack on U.S. forces that occurred on December 13th in Palmyra, Syria,” War Secretary Pete Hegseth wrote on X.   IOWA NATIONAL GUARD SOLDIERS IDENTIFIED AS VICTIMS IN DEADLY SYRIA ISIS ATTACK “This is not the beginning of a war — it is a declaration of vengeance,” he added. “The United States of America, under President Trump’s leadership, will never hesitate and never relent to defend our people.” The secretary noted that anyone targeting Americans anywhere in the world will spend the rest of their days watching over their shoulder and will be targeted for death.  Trump vowed revenge on the terror group after the soldiers — Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, 25, of Des Moines, Iowa, and Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard, 29, of Marshalltown, Iowa — and interpreter Ayad Mansoor Sakat of Michigan — were killed Saturday while conducting a key leader engagement, part of their mission in support of ongoing counter-ISIS/counter-terrorism operations in the region. The gunman was killed by partner forces. TRUMP ADDRESSES TRIO OF ATTACKS IN SYRIA, BROWN UNIVERSITY AND AUSTRALIA AT WHITE HOUSE CHRISTMAS EVENT   “Because of ISIS’s vicious killing of brave American Patriots in Syria, whose beautiful souls I welcomed home to American soil earlier this week in a very dignified ceremony, I am hereby announcing that the United States is inflicting very serious retaliation, just as I promised, on the murderous terrorists responsible,” he wrote on Truth Social on Friday.  He said U.S. forces were striking ISIS strongholds in Syria, “a place soaked in blood which has many problems, but one that has a bright future if ISIS can be eradicated.” He added that the Syrian government was in support of Friday’s strikes.  Trump also reminded anyone wishing to harm Americans anywhere in the world of what awaits them.  “All terrorists who are evil enough to attack Americans are hereby warned — YOU WILL BE HIT HARDER THAN YOU HAVE EVER BEEN HIT BEFORE IF YOU, IN ANY WAY, ATTACK OR THREATEN THE U.S.A,” he wrote.  Navy Adm. Brad Cooper, commander of U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), said U.S. forces will pursue terrorists who seek to harm Americans and partner forces.  “This operation is critical to preventing ISIS from inspiring terrorist plots and attacks against the U.S. homeland,” he said in a statement.  After the deadly Dec. 13 attack, the Syrian government helped carry out  10 operations in Syria and Iraq resulting in the deaths or detention of 23 terrorist operatives, CENTCOM said.  U.S. forces provided support during those raids, which led to the confiscation of electronics and individual interviews that led to the intelligence behind Friday’s operation.  A CENTCOM review is ongoing regarding the exact ties of the gunman who had joined the Syrian Security Forces two months before and who was in the process of being removed for suspected jihadist ties.

Republican Sen Cynthia Lummis will not seek re-election in 2026, citing the ‘energy required’

Republican Sen Cynthia Lummis will not seek re-election in 2026, citing the ‘energy required’

Republican Cynthia Lummis will not be seeking re-election for her U.S. Senate seat in 2026, saying it’s been “an incredible honor to represent Wyoming” in a statement shared on X. “It’s an incredible honor to represent Wyoming in the U.S. Senate, and throughout my time here, Wyoming has been my one-and-only priority,” Lummis posted to X. “Deciding not to run for reelection does represent a change of heart for me, but in the difficult, exhausting session weeks this fall I’ve come to accept that I do not have six more years left in me. “I am a devout legislator, but I feel like a sprinter in a marathon,” the senator wrote. “The energy required doesn’t match up.” SEN CYNTHIA LUMMIS: TRUMP IS ENDING BIDEN’S WAR ON ENERGY AND ONE STATE IS KEY TO THAT STRATEGY The announcement comes as many legislators have announced resignations ahead of the 2026 midterm elections, which many political commentators have noted may be a referendum on President Donald Trump‘s second administration. Lummis has been a champion for cryptocurrency legislation in the Senate, penning the GENIUS Act. The Wyoming Republican has also been an advocate for American energy during her tenure, including coal, oil and gas. Sworn in Jan. 3, 2021, Lummis is the first woman to serve as a senator for the Equality State. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP “I am honored to have earned the support of President Trump and to have the opportunity to work side by side with him to fight for the people of Wyoming,” Lummis concluded. “Thank you, Wyoming!” Lummis’ office did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

Israel, Lebanon officials meet as pressure mounts to disarm Hezbollah

Israel, Lebanon officials meet as pressure mounts to disarm Hezbollah

Talks come as Israel launches near-daily attacks across Lebanon in what Hezbollah says is disarmament pressure campaign. The committee tasked with overseeing a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah has held talks in southern Lebanon, as Israel and the United States ramp up pressure to disarm the Lebanese group. Civilian and military delegations from Israel and Lebanon met in the southern Lebanese town of Naqoura on Friday for closed-door discussions, the 15th such gathering since the truce was signed in November 2024. Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of list The US embassy in Beirut said military participants offered “operational updates” and agreed on the need to strengthen the Lebanese army as a guarantor of security south of the Litani River. “Civilian participants, in parallel, focused on setting conditions for residents to return safely to their homes, advancing reconstruction, and addressing economic priorities,” the embassy said in a statement. “They underscored that durable political and economic progress is essential to reinforcing security gains and sustaining lasting peace.” The talks come as Israel has repeatedly violated the ceasefire with Hezbollah, carrying out near-daily attacks across Lebanon, most notably in the south. The Israeli military launched a series of air strikes across the country a day before the Friday meetings, claiming in a statement that it was targeting the Lebanese group’s military operatives and infrastructure. Reporting from Naqoura, Al Jazeera’s Zeina Khodr said the talks were expected to focus on solidifying what has largely been a one-sided truce. “At least that is what Lebanon wants,” she said. “The Israeli army still occupies more than 10 square kilometres [about 4sq miles] of Lebanese territory along the border.” Next meeting in January After the meetings, Lebanese President Joseph Aoun met Lebanese diplomat Simon Karam, who has been appointed as the country’s top civilian negotiator. Advertisement A statement by the Lebanese presidency said Aoun stressed that allowing tens of thousands of Lebanese civilians who have been displaced as a result of Israel’s attacks to return to their villages and homes was “an entry point for addressing all other details”. Aoun said the committee’s next meeting is scheduled for January 7. He also welcomed a separate diplomatic agreement reached in Paris between the US, France and Saudi Arabia to organise an international conference in early 2026 to support the Lebanese army and the country’s internal security forces. Israel’s National Security Council Deputy Director for Foreign Policy Yosef Dreznin represented the country in the civilian talks. The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the meeting as a “continuation of the security dialogue aimed at ensuring the disarmament of Hezbollah by the Lebanese army”. “During the meeting, ways to promote economic projects were discussed in order to underscore the mutual interest in removing the Hezbollah threat and ensuring sustainable security for residents on both sides of the border,” it said in a statement. For its part, Hezbollah has rejected the prospect of laying down its weapons while Israel continues to regularly launch attacks on Lebanon and occupy parts of its territory. Naim Qassem, who became Hezbollah’s secretary-general after his predecessor Hassan Nasrallah and most of the group’s military and political leadership were assassinated by Israel, has accused the Lebanese government of giving concessions without receiving anything in return. Paul Salem, senior fellow at the Middle East Institute, told Al Jazeera that the talks remain limited at the moment but may, in the future, evolve into broader topics, including a full cessation of hostilities. “I doubt it will get into anything related to peace, certainly not now,” he said. Adblock test (Why?)

Three killed in Taipei stabbing, smoke bomb attack

Three killed in Taipei stabbing, smoke bomb attack

Officials say suspect, who died after falling from a building during police chase, carried out ‘indiscriminate attacks’. By News Agencies Published On 19 Dec 202519 Dec 2025 Click here to share on social media share2 Share At least three people have been killed and five injured after a knife-wielding attacker went on a rampage in central Taipei, before dying during a police chase, local authorities say. Taiwan’s Premier Cho Jung-tai said in a statement on Friday that the suspect had let off smoke bombs at Taipei’s main train station, and then ran to a nearby subway station in a busy shopping district, attacking people on the way. Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of list The attacks were “a deliberate act”, although the motive was not immediately clear, Cho said. “He deliberately threw smoke bombs and wielded a long knife to carry out indiscriminate attacks on the public,” the premier added. The suspect then died during a police chase after falling from a building, according to local officials. Mayor Chiang Wan-an told reporters that the attacker had apparently jumped off the building “to evade arrest and has been confirmed dead”. This picture taken and released by Taiwan’s Central News Agency (CNA) on December 19 shows police patrolling at a metro station in Taipei, after attacks at two stations in the city [AFP] Images released by Taiwan’s Central News Agency showed a canister on the ground at the Main Station, with officers examining potential evidence at the scene. Identifying the deceased suspect only by his last name, Chang, Premier Cho told reporters that he had a prior criminal record and outstanding warrants and said his house has been searched. “We will investigate his background and associated relationships to understand his motives and determine if there are other connected factors,” he added. Advertisement Taiwan police ramped up security across the island in response to the attacks. “All important locations … including railway stations, highways, subway stations and airports are maintaining a high level of alert and vigilance,” Cho said. Meanwhile, President William Lai Ching-te told reporters that the Taiwanese authorities would “quickly clarify the details of the case”. “There will be no leniency and we will do everything in our power to ensure the safety of our citizens,” he said. Violent crime is rare in Taiwan, though an attack in 2014 horrified residents when a man went on a stabbing spree on Taipei’s metro, killing four people. He was executed for the killings in 2016. Adblock test (Why?)