Amnesty calls for war crimes probe on RSF attack on Sudan refugee camp

NGO documents accounts of atrocities during paramilitary force’s April assault on the North Darfur facility. Rights group Amnesty International has called for a war crimes investigation into an assault by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on a displaced persons camp in Sudan’s North Darfur state earlier this year. A report issued by the NGO on Wednesday documents accounts of atrocities committed by the RSF during a large-scale attack on the Zamzam camp. The RSF has been accused of indiscriminate killing and mass rape, among other crimes, numerous times amid its conflict with the military government of Sudan that has been running since April 2023. Recommended Stories list of 4 itemsend of list The assault on the famine-hit camp came as the paramilitary force laid siege to el-Fasher, the state capital of North Darfur. The RSF now holds full control over the state and is pushing eastwards into the vast central Sudanese region of West Kordofan, adding to the millions of people who have been displaced. The attacks on Zamzam – the largest for internally displaced people in North Darfur state – between April 11 and 13 saw RSF fighters deploy explosives in populated areas and shoot randomly in residential areas, according to the report. People displaced following Rapid Support Forces (RSF) attacks on Zamzam displacement camp, shelter in the town of Tawila, close to el-Fasher in North Darfur, Sudan, on April 15, 2025 [Reuters] The document details dozens of accounts of deadly attacks on civilians, with witnesses recounting seeing RSF fighters fatally shoot at least 47 civilians who were hiding in their homes, fleeing the violence or sheltering in a mosque. Advertisement “The RSF’s horrific and deliberate assault on desperate, hungry civilians in Zamzam camp laid bare once again its alarming disregard for human life,” said Agnes Callamard, Amnesty International’s secretary-general. “Civilians were ruthlessly attacked, killed, robbed of items critical to their survival and livelihood, and left without recourse to justice.” The assault, which also saw RSF fighters deliberately set fire to homes and other buildings, and undertake acts “that may amount to” rape and pillage, caused an estimated 400,000 people to flee the camp during two days alone, the report said. ‘Shooting anywhere’ Based on interviews with 29 people – including witnesses, survivors, and the relatives of victims, as well as videos and satellite imagery – the report is the latest to accuse the RSF of committing atrocities in Sudan’s 30-month war, including mass killings, summary executions and rapes. The military government’s Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) has also been accused of numerous war crimes. The kind of depictions given by survivors of the Zamzam assault, of RSF fighters shooting and setting fires indiscriminately to send residents fleeing, have become familiar. “[RSF] fighters were just shouting and shooting anywhere, so that is how many people were killed,” one man told Amnesty. Another said: “You could not identify where the shelling [was] coming from. It was everywhere.” One woman, a volunteer for a nongovernmental organisation, described an RSF fighter firing randomly from his vehicle as he drove near the camp’s main market. Amnesty said that shooting without a specific military target could constitute an indiscriminate attack, a serious violation of international humanitarian law. Another man described how he had witnessed about 15 armed men storm his compound and fatally shoot his 80-year-old brother and 30-year-old nephew. “No one is concerned with our situation,” he said. No end in sight Amnesty also once again criticised the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the report for supporting the RSF – a widely made accusation. The UAE has staunchly denied that it supplies arms or financial support to the RSF. The SAF and RSF have remained locked in a brutal conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced nearly 12 million since hostilities broke out in April 2023. Efforts to broker a truce have made little headway. The RSF announced a unilateral ceasefire last month following a peace plan issued by the “Quad,” a group of mediators including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and the United States. Advertisement However, continuing clashes suggest there is little willingness on either side to end the war. Adblock test (Why?)
Cobalt Miners: The human cost of clean energy

In DRC’s perilous mines, Eagle Mujinga walks a tightrope, protecting workers’ welfare to supply international demand for cobalt. Eagle Mujinga manages workers at Shabara cobalt mine in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). As the world’s biggest producer of cobalt, the DRC is a part of the chain that fuels electric vehicles and renewable energy worldwide. Miners in the DRC face dangerous working conditions and earn, on average, a few dollars per day to supply the multibillion-dollar industry. Eagle is caught in the middle when unrest grows among miners who accuse foreign buyers of underweighing and undervaluing the cobalt they extract. Once a miner himself, can Mujinga navigate demands from the miners while maintaining relations with foreign buyers? Cobalt Miners is a documentary film by Arthur Nazaryan, Neild Brandvold, Mike Shum and Qinling Li. Published On 3 Dec 20253 Dec 2025 Click here to share on social media share2 Share Adblock test (Why?)
RBI’s three-day monetary policy meeting begins today, policy outcome on Friday

The members of the MPC will hold detailed discussions on the future course of monetary policy, taking into account the latest data on GDP growth and inflation. The policy outcome will be announced by RBI Governor Sanjay Malhotra on Friday at 10 AM.
Lawrence Bishnoi vs Goldy Brar gang war rocks Chandigarh after Dubai; close aide Inderpreet ‘Parry’ shot dead

The incident took place near the Timber Market in Sector 26, where bike-borne attackers and another unidentified accomplice opened fire on him, police said.
MCD bypolls: BJP wins big with 7 seats, AAP bags 3 wards amid claims of ‘foul play’

BJP won 5 of the wards reserved for women. Manisha Devi won ward 120 Dwarka – B, Veena Asija won ward 65 Ashok Vihar, Anjum Mandal won ward 173 Greater Kailash, Rekha Rani won ward 128 Dichaon Kalan, Anita Jain won ward 56 Shalimar Bagh-B.
Major FSDA crackdown in Lucknow: 7 malls raided, Lulu Hypermarket sealed, KFC…

At Lulu Hypermarket, FSDA officials found serious discrepancies in manufacturing dates, and products were allegedly being sold with manipulated expiry dates. The hypermarket also did not possess the mandatory license as per regulatory standards.
Delhi University’s Deshbandhu and Ramjas colleges receive bomb threat, campuses evacuated; Here’s what we know so far

Ramjas and Deshbandhu Colleges in Delhi University were evacuated on Wednesday following bomb threat emails. Police and bomb disposal squads conducted thorough searches. Similar threats have targeted schools, airports, hospitals, and government offices, though most have been hoaxes.
Sanchar Saathi App: Centre’s HUGE clarification, Telecom Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia says, ‘Optional, can be deleted…’

Addressing the Lok Sabha, Scindia refuted the speculation around snooping after the Centre passed a directive to pre-install the Sanchar Saathi app in mobile handsets.
Apple rejects government’s Sanchar Saathi pre-installation order due to THIS reason, company says, ‘privacy may …’

The DoT has ordered smartphone makers to pre-install the Sanchar Saathi app to help users track lost devices and prevent fraud. Apple has refused, citing privacy and security risks. The order faced strong backlash, prompting the government to clarify that users will be allowed to delete the app.
Who was Prince Patel? 18-year-old ‘PKR Blogger’ dies while riding bike at 140 kmph in Gujarat

A tragic accident occurred in Surat, Gujarat, where 18-year-old vlogger Prince Patel, known online as ‘PKR Blogger’, lost his life while riding his KTM Duke motorcycle. The incident happened on the Great Liner Bridge, a multi-level flyover, where Prince was allegedly speeding at 140 km/h. He lost control, fell off the bike, and was decapitated in the accident.