Iran urges UN to respond to Trump’s ‘reckless’ threats over protests

Letter to UN chief, UNSC comes after Trump says US will intervene if Tehran violently suppresses protests. Published On 3 Jan 20263 Jan 2026 Click here to share on social media share2 Share Iran’s United Nations ambassador Amir Saeed Iravani has written to the UN secretary-general and the president of the UN Security Council (UNSC), urging them to condemn “unlawful threats” towards Tehran from United States President Donald Trump amid ongoing protests in the country. The letter sent on Friday came hours after Trump said the US was “locked and loaded and ready to go” if any more protesters were killed in the ongoing demonstrations in Iran over the cost of living. Recommended Stories list of 4 itemsend of list Iravani called on UN chief Antonio Guterres and members of the UNSC to “unequivocally and firmly condemn” Trump’s “reckless and provocative statements”, describing them as a “serious violation” of the UN Charter and international law. “Any attempt to incite, encourage or legitimise internal unrest as a pretext for external pressure or military intervention is a gross violation of the sovereignty, political independence and territorial integrity of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Iravani said in the letter, which was published in full by the IRNA state news agency. The letter added that Iran’s government “reiterates its inherent right to defend its sovereignty” and that it will “exercise its rights in a decisive and proportionate manner”. “The United States of America bears full responsibility for any consequences arising from these illegal threats and any subsequent escalation of tensions,” Iravani added. IRNA reported earlier that protests continued across Iran on Friday, with people gathering in Qom, Marvdasht, Yasuj, Mashhad, and Hamedan as well as in the Tehran neighbourhoods of Tehranpars and Khak Sefid. Advertisement The protests have swept across the country after shopkeepers in Iran’s capital Tehran went on strike on Sunday over high prices and economic stagnation. At least nine people had been killed and 44 arrested in the unrest. The deputy governor of Qom province on Friday said that another person had died after a grenade exploded in his hand, in what the governor said was an attempt to incite unrest. In his post on Truth Social, Trump said that if Iran “violently kills peaceful protesters, which is their custom, the United States of America will come to their rescue”. Ali Larijani, secretary of the Supreme National Security Council, shot back that US interference “is equivalent to chaos across the entire region and the destruction of American interests”. Iran’s economic woes, including a collapsing currency and high inflation rates, follow years of severe drought in Tehran, a city with a population of some 10 million people, compounding multiple ongoing crises. Iranian leaders have struck a surprisingly conciliatory tone in response, with President Masoud Pezeshkian saying the government is at “fault” for the situation and promising to find solutions. Observers have noted the response is markedly different from the harsh reaction to past protests in the country. The United States bombed three Iranian nuclear sites in June this year during a 12-day escalation between Israel and Iran. Trump described the operation as a “very successful attack”. Last week, during a news conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Trump said the US will “knock the hell out” of Iran if it advances its nuclear programme or ballistic weapons programme. The statement came amid an Israeli push to resume attacks on Iran. Pezeshkian has pledged a “severe” response to any aggression. Adblock test (Why?)
UN chief Guterres calls on Israel to reverse NGO ban in Gaza, West Bank

Guterres says pending ban targets groups ‘indispensable to life-saving’ work, undermines ceasefire progress. United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on Israel to reverse a pending ban on 37 nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) working in Gaza and the occupied West Bank. In a statement on Friday, Guterres called the work of the groups “indispensable to life-saving humanitarian work”, according to spokesperson Stephane Dujarric. He added that the “suspension risks undermining the fragile progress made during the ceasefire”. Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of list Israel banned the humanitarian groups for failing to meet new registration rules requiring aid groups working in the occupied territory to provide “detailed information on their staff members, funding and operations”. It has pledged to enforce the ban starting March 1. Experts have denounced the requirements as arbitrary and in violation of humanitarian principles. Aid groups have said that providing personal information about their Palestinian employees to Israel could put them at risk. The targeted groups include several country chapters of Doctors Without Borders (known by its French acronym, MSF), the Norwegian Refugee Council, and the International Rescue Committee. To date, Israel has killed about 500 aid workers and volunteers in Gaza throughout its genocidal war. All told, at least 71,271 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since October 7, 2023. In his statement, Guterres said the NGO ban “comes on top of earlier restrictions that have already delayed critical food, medical, hygiene and shelter supplies from entering Gaza”. “This recent action will further exacerbate the humanitarian crisis facing Palestinians,” he said. Advertisement Nearly all of Gaza’s population has been displaced throughout the war, with many still living in tents and temporary shelters. Israel had maintained severe restrictions on aid entering the enclave prior to a ceasefire going into effect in October. Under the deal, Israel was meant to provide unhindered aid access. But humanitarian groups have said Israel has continued to prevent adequate aid flow. Ongoing restrictions include materials that could be used to provide better shelter and protection from flooding amid devastating winter storms, according to the UN. Earlier on Friday, the foreign ministers of Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Turkiye, Pakistan and Indonesia warned that “deteriorating” conditions threatened to take even more lives in Gaza. “Flooded camps, damaged tents, the collapse of damaged buildings, and exposure to cold temperatures coupled with malnutrition, have significantly heightened risks to civilian lives,” they said in a statement. They called on the international community “to pressure Israel, as the occupying power, to immediately lift constraints on the entry and distribution of essential supplies including tents, shelter materials, medical assistance, clean water, fuel, and sanitation support”. Adblock test (Why?)
Who is Barse Deva? Most-wanted Maoist commander and close associate of Madvi Hidma surrenders

Deva, aged 45 years, had been serving as the in-charge of Battalion Number 1 — considered the last core fighting unit of the Maoist organisation. He has held the rank of Area Zonal Committee Member (AZCM) since 2021. Deva was a close associate of top Maoist commander Madvi Hidma.
Indore contaminated water tragedy: More than 200 hospitalised, MP CM suspends two officials

According to Indore district Collector Shivam Verma, five deaths have been officially confirmed so far in the water contamination incident, and the total number of hospitalised patients has risen to 210.
Good News for Uttar Pradesh residents: New four-lane highway, built with cost of Rs 700 crore, to connect two national highways in THIS district, name is…

According to officials, the project will also include the construction of a two-lane bridge at Sultan Garh, which will further enhance connectivity in the area.
Delhi-NCR Weather Update: Air quality improves to ‘poor’, national capital wakes up to chilly morning; check area-wise AQI

Delhi Air Quality Index (AQI) has improved to ‘poor’ days after being in the ‘very poor’ category as the national capital woke up to a chilly and windy morning on Saturday.According to data from the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), the daily average AQI continued to decline, with the city recording an overall AQI of 222.
James Talarico reports raising nearly $7 million, continuing cash influx to U.S. Senate bid

The Democratic Senate hopeful’s campaign said virtually all the donations, 98%, were for $100 or less. Candidates must file updates by the end of the month.
Dallas County sues Trump administration over clawback of public health funds

Dallas is the second Texas county to sue over public health cuts after a judge ordered the Trump administration to return $20 million to Harris County last summer.
DOGE says agencies cut $1.6B in federal contracts, flags spending on Somalia, HHS web services

The Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) said Friday that federal agencies have terminated or reduced 55 contracts over the last three days with a combined ceiling value of $1.6 billion, claiming $542 million in savings. DOGE, whose name nods to Elon Musk’s high-profile involvement, was launched during the opening days of President Donald Trump’s second administration as part of a broader effort to reshape federal spending and bureaucracy. While Musk has since stepped back from the project, elements of the DOGE framework remain active across federal agencies. In a post on X, the department wrote: “Contracts Update! Over the last 3 days, agencies terminated and descoped 55 wasteful contracts with a ceiling value of $1.6B and savings of $542M.” WHITE HOUSE SENDING $9.4 BILLION DOGE CUTS PACKAGE TO CONGRESS NEXT WEEK The post listed several examples, including what it described as “a $47M State Dept. program support contract for ‘Africa / Djibouti, Somalia armored personnel carriers and Somalia National Army crew’,” and “a $19.5M HHS IT Services contract for support for National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences in designing, creating, updating, maintaining, and archiving online communications.” DOGE also referenced “a $151k DoW education services contract for ‘Director’s Development Program in Leadership – Partnership course to be held at Northwestern University’,” according to the post. Screenshots shared with the DOGE post show federal contract records matching the descriptions and dollar amounts cited. DOGE WILL GO ON: HILL PORK HAWK SAYS ROOTING OUT GOVERNMENT WASTE WILL CONTINUE AFTER ELON One screenshot shows a contract record tied to Somalia, listing professional program management support under a federal services code and identifying the country of service origin as Somalia. The contract description references support related to armored personnel carriers and Somalia National Army crews in Djibouti and Somalia. A second screenshot shows an IT management support services contract based in the United States, categorized under computer systems design services. The description outlines work for the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences focused on maintaining and managing online communications, including websites, webpages, mobile tools and social media platforms. The DOGE post did not provide additional details about when the contracts were originally awarded, how much funding had already been obligated or spent, or which agency actions produced the savings figure cited in the post. The announcement comes amid heightened scrutiny this week over several Somali-owned, government-funded daycare facilities in Minnesota that have been accused of fraudulently collecting millions of dollars worth of taxpayer funds. Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House, DOGE, the State Department and HHS for additional information.
Hochul orders NY landmarks, including One World Trade Center, lit green for Muslim American Heritage Month

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul on Friday issued a proclamation declaring January Muslim American Heritage Month across the state and directed 16 state landmarks, including NYC’s One World Trade Center, to be illuminated green Friday night in “celebration of the heritage and culture of Muslim Americans.” “Home to the largest Muslim American population in the nation, New York is proud to join in this month-long celebration, recognizing the values, faith and traditions of our Muslim American communities,” Hochul said in a statement. “New York remains committed to being a beacon of hope, tolerance, and inclusivity that celebrates the diversity of its Muslim American population and protects them from Islamophobia, hate, bias, and harm.” MAMDANI DISPUTES ANTISEMITISM DEFINITION AMID BLOWBACK FROM JEWISH COMMUNITY ABOUT DAY 1 EXECUTIVE ORDERS One World Trade Center stands on the site of 6 World Trade Center, which was heavily damaged by debris during the collapse of the North Tower in the 9/11 attacks. The terrorists who carried out the 9/11 attacks were Muslim and members of al Qaeda, a violent militant group. The move came just one day after New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani was sworn in with the Quran as the first Muslim mayor of the city. “While I was proud to be sworn in as our city’s first Muslim mayor [Thursday], Muslims have been part of New York for centuries,” Mamdani said in a statement. “We have built small businesses, raised our families, pursued every profession, enriched our culture and cuisine, and been a part of what makes our city what it is today. “I am grateful for Governor Hochul’s leadership in recognizing these many contributions and ensuring that every January, Muslim New Yorkers can see ourselves reflected and recognized in a city and state that is also our home.” Other Muslim politicians, including New York State Assembly Deputy Majority Leader Charles Fall, state Sen. Robert Jackson, New York City Councilmember Shahana Hanif and New York City Councilmember Yusef Salaam applauded the designation, thanking Hochul for honoring the community and promoting inclusivity. SOCIALIST MAYOR MAMDANI INAUGURATED ALONGSIDE BERNIE SANDERS AND AOC ON NEW YEAR’S DAY Council of Peoples Organization CEO Mohammad Razvi noted the Muslim community has “demonstrated resilience in the years following 9/11 while continuing to strengthen New York through immigrant contributions, civic leadership and service. This recognition affirms our place in the social, cultural and civic life of our state. … This moment reflects New York’s continued commitment to civil rights, religious freedom, unity and interfaith solidarity and to ensuring that people of all backgrounds are seen, valued and included.” While anti-Muslim hate crime increased after the 9/11 attacks, Jews were targeted more frequently than all other groups combined in New York City in 2024, with anti-Jewish incidents accounting for 54% of all hate crimes, according to a report from The Times of Israel. The Institute for Social Policy and Understanding reported the Muslim community in New York City makes up 12.5% of pharmacists, 40% of taxi drivers and more than 57% of street food vendors. Fox News Digital has reached out to organizations supporting 9/11 victims, survivors and their families for comment.