Rahul Mamkootathil rape case: Victim shares emotional message after arrest of expelled MLA, says ‘You saw what was done…’

After expelled Congress MLA Rahul Mamkootathil’s arrest in a fresh sexual assault case, the first survivor shared an emotional post recalling pain, betrayal, and forced abortion allegations. She said faith gave her strength as multiple cases against Mamkootathil continue under legal scrutiny.
Who was Rachna Yadav? 44-year-old woman shot dead outside home in Delhi’s Shalimar Bagh, was key witness in husband’s murder case

In a shocking case from India’s national capital, Delhi, a woman was shot dead in Shalimar Bagh on Saturday, with police suspecting the killing to be related to the murder of her husband in 2023.
Fire breaks out at flat linked to Premanand Ji Maharaj in Mathura’s Vrindavan, thick smoke triggers panic; cause suspected to be…

A major fire broke out at Shri Krishna Sharanam Society in Vrindavan in a flat linked to saint Premanand Ji Maharaj, likely due to an electrical fault. No injuries were reported, but tensions rose after allegations of misbehaviour by the saint’s attendants toward locals, police, and journalists.
Sacked IAS Puja Khedkar, family drugged, tied with ropes by Nepali house help at Pune Bungalow; mobile, valuables looted

Ex-IAS probationer Puja Khedkar, who was accused of faking her ‘disability’ to secure additional UPSC attempts, and reservation, has come into spotlight once again. Khedkar has made allegations that a house help had drugged her and her parents, Dilip and Manorama Khedkar.
Kashmiri man Ahad Sheikh attempted to offer namaz at Ayodhya’s Ram Mandir, raised slogans; detained; family says, ‘mentally…’

Row erupted after a Kashmiri man allegedly attempted to offer namaz inside Ayodhya’s Ram Mandir. The UP police has detained the man, identified as Ahad Sheikh, who is also alleged to raise slogans, when security officers tried to stop him.
MGNREGA Bachao Sangram: Security beefs up outside PM Modi’s public outreach office in Varanasi ahead of NSUI’s march

The party has announced the launch of the first phase of its 45-day ‘MGNREGA Bachao Sangram’ across all states, districts, blocks, and gram panchayats. On January 3, Venugopal said the CWC had finalised the future strategy on MGNREGA and approved a structured campaign titled “MGNREGA Bachao Sangram.
BMC elections 2026: Fadnavis-led Mahayuti alliance makes BIG promises in manifesto; AI to track illegal Bangladeshis, 10000 new buses, and more

While addressing the crowd, Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis said, “We’ll free Mumbai from Bangladeshis. We’ve deported the highest so far. With AI, we’ll identify and deport 100% Bangladeshis.”
Trump ultimatum to Cuba: ‘Make a deal, before it is too late’ or face consequences

President Donald Trump signaled a hardline stance toward Cuba on Sunday, vowing to halt all oil and financial support and urging the island nation to “make a deal” before it is “too late.” “THERE WILL BE NO MORE OIL OR MONEY GOING TO CUBA – ZERO! I strongly suggest they make a deal, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post. ‘WE BUILT VENEZUELA’S OIL INDUSTRY:’ TRUMP VOWS US ENERGY RETURN AFTER MADURO CAPTURE Venezuela has long been Cuba’s largest oil supplier, though Trump has successfully secured oil shipments to the U.S. on the heels of former Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro‘s capture by U.S. forces. “Cuba lived, for many years, on large amounts of OIL and MONEY from Venezuela,” Trump added. The warning comes as the Trump administration intensifies its efforts to isolate regional allies of Venezuela following Maduro’s capture. Venezuela’s massive oil reserves, the largest in the world, have historically underpinned its influence across the region, particularly through subsidized shipments to allies like Cuba. VENEZUELA STILL OWES US ENERGY COMPANIES BILLIONS AS TRUMP CALLS FOR NEW INVESTMENT That leverage is now at the center of Trump’s push to reshape regional energy flows following the collapse of Venezuela’s former government. On Friday, Trump hosted a lineup of U.S. and international oil executives representing key sectors of Venezuela’s energy supply chain, including producers, refiners and traders. Trump pledged to bring U.S. companies back to the forefront of Venezuelan oil production and exports, according to people familiar with the discussions.
Trump responds to post suggesting Rubio as president of Cuba: ‘Sounds good to me’

President Donald Trump reacted to a social media post joking about Secretary of State Marco Rubio becoming the president of Cuba, replying, “Sounds good to me.” Trump posted the response Sunday on his Truth Social account after a user wrote, “Marco Rubio will be president of Cuba.” Rubio’s broad portfolio in the Trump administration has fueled online jokes portraying him as being placed in charge of an ever-expanding list of roles. MADURO’S ARREST IS GOOD NEWS FOR ALL AMERICANS AND LEAVES DEMOCRATS LOOKING FOOLISH Officially, he serves as secretary of state, national security advisor, and acting archivist of the United States. He also previously served as acting administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development, before the agency’s remaining functions were discontinued or absorbed into the State Department as part of a reorganization finalized in July. RUBIO SPEARHEADS MASSIVE STATE DEPT REORGANIZATION SET TO ELIMINATE, MERGE MORE THAN 300 OFFICES Social media users on X have turned a photo of Rubio from a White House meeting into a viral “realizing” meme, joking that his growing responsibilities make him the administration’s go-to official for a widening range of positions. Users have posted AI-generated photos of Rubio that depict him in a range of imagined roles, from the Shah of Iran and the president of Venezuela to the manager of Manchester United. Rubio has leaned into the humor himself, writing on X last week that he wouldn’t be a candidate for the vacant head coach or general manager positions with the Miami Dolphins. “While you never know what the future may bring right now my focus must remain on global events and also the precious archives of the United States of America,” he wrote.
Somali Maine city councilor resigns days after taking office after felony charge, residency questions

A Somali man elected city councilor in Maine has resigned days after taking office following his indictment on a felony charge and an investigation over his residency in the district he served, according to local reports. Iman Osman, who served as a city councilor in Lewiston, wrote in a resignation letter sent to Lewiston Mayor Carl Sheline and City Council President David Chittim that he did not come to the decision lightly, WMTW-TV reported. “For the betterment of our community and in the best interest of our city, I believe it is time for me to step aside,” Osman wrote in the letter. “I hope my resignation serves as a call to action for those who remain — an opportunity to reflect on the values of respect, inclusivity and kindness that should guide our public service.” Osman’s resignation comes after a grand jury indicted him on Dec. 1 on charges stemming from the alleged theft of two firearms between Nov. 15, 2023, and Oct. 11, 2024, according to the outlet. SOMALI UN AMBASSADOR LINKED TO QUESTIONABLE CINCINNATI HEALTH SERVICE AGENCY, RFK JR. DEPUTY SAYS Osman pleaded not guilty at his arraignment in Lewiston District Court on Tuesday, Maine Public reported. Osman also faced scrutiny over his residence, which was listed in the indictment as an address that has been condemned since October 2024, according to the reports. On Monday, the Lewiston City Council voted 6-1 for Osman to be investigated over his residency. Osman was the sole vote against the investigation. BESSENT BLAMES WALZ AS TREASURY PROBES WHETHER MINNESOTA FRAUD FUNDS REACHED TERROR GROUP AL-SHABAB Osman claimed in his letter that he faced “racist opposition” during his city council campaign and was bombarded with “vicious personal attacks” while serving in office. Osman’s attorney, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, told WMTW that he believes the national rhetoric about the Somali community sparked an increase in the backlash against Osman. “The fact that the Trump administration is targeting Somali and Somali Americans across the country, absolutely played a role in ginning up the kind of hatred and threats of violence that ultimately forced him to conclude that he could no longer serve in public office at this time,” he said.