Texas Weekly Online

Biden’s ‘decline’: GOP lawmakers question what Kamala knew and when she knew it

Biden’s ‘decline’: GOP lawmakers question what Kamala knew and when she knew it

House Republicans are questioning whether Vice President Kamala Harris was aware of any signs of cognitive decline in President Biden before his performance in last month’s presidential debate prompted similar concerns among the wider public. “I don’t see how anybody in the president’s inner circle could not have known about his cognitive decline,” House Foreign Affairs Chairman Michael McCaul, R-Texas, told Fox News Digital when asked about Harris.  McCaul, who’s met with Biden twice since he took office in January 2021, said, during the second meeting earlier this year, the president “didn’t seem to quite comprehend things very well.” “It was very noticeable to the members of the meeting. There was something — maybe he was just having a bad day,” McCaul said. GOP SENATE CANDIDATE TIES OPPONENT TO BIDEN DEBATE: BOB CASEY KNEW Other GOP lawmakers were more pointed in their criticism of Harris, pointing to reports she and Biden had been together in small group settings, including one-on-one lunches. “If you look at video from six months ago, three months ago, when she continued to appear before large groups of people and say, ‘The president’s fine, he’s doing great,’ you know, they were all in on this,” Rep. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Wis., said. “As a result of that, you know, we find ourselves in the really strange position of not knowing whether or not he can fulfill his duties.” Harris announced Sunday she would be running for president after the 81-year-old Biden dropped out of the race.  TRUMP TEAM FILES FEC COMPLAINT OVER TRANSFER OF BIDEN’S $91M TO HARRIS CAMPAIGN: ‘BRAZEN MONEY GRAB’ The administration’s GOP critics have accused Democrats of staging a “coup” against Biden because all polls indicated he was positioned to lose to former President Trump, though left-wing lawmakers have rejected those claims and insisted anyone was free to challenge Harris. The Republican attacks have included questions over whether Harris saw Biden operate privately the way he did on the debate stage against Trump in June, speaking with a hoarse, meandering tone and, at times, appearing confused. “It’s clear that she has watched his decline and done nothing to bring it to light or to take action,” said Rep. Ben Cline, R-Va. “Instead, what we see is her involvement in one of the greatest cover-ups in our nation’s history.” Rep. Tom Tiffany, R-Wis., told Fox News Digital, “I mean, she’s the vice president. She was there the whole time when most of the world knew that he was not up to doing the job.” HARRIS HAULS IN $81 MILLION IN FIRST 24 HOURS SINCE BIDEN BOWED OUT “How could you spend time around him and not know he was in a state of decline?” Rep. Barry Moore, R-Ala., wondered. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP Rep. Dan Meuser, R-Pa., said, “She stood by him. And that’s a very loyal thing to do. But where is loyalty and lying to the American people? Where’s that line?” Biden suspended his campaign after mounting pressure from fellow Democrats to step aside.  Fox News Digital reached out to Harris’ campaign for comment.

House unanimously votes to create Trump assassination attempt commission

House unanimously votes to create Trump assassination attempt commission

The House of Representatives unanimously voted to establish a bipartisan commission to investigate the attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump. No lawmakers voted “no” nor “present,” and 416 voted “yes.” Ten Democrats and six Republicans did not vote. The task force will be comprised of seven Republicans and six Democrats, with the members likely being announced this week. House GOP leaders raced the bill to the floor after the deadly shooting at Trump’s Butler, Pennsylvania, rally nearly two weeks ago. One attendee died, and two others were injured, with Trump himself getting shot in the ear and evacuated off the stage by the Secret Service. TRUMP SHOOTING: TIMELINE OF ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT RAISES QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW GUNMAN EVADED SECURITY The vote was bipartisan, as expected — the hours following the shooting prompted a flurry of bipartisan condemnations against political violence, as well as scrutiny of the security situation that allowed a 20-year-old gunman with a rifle onto a rooftop just outside the rally perimeter. “The security failures that allowed an assassination attempt on Donald Trump’s life are shocking. In response to bipartisan demands for answers, we are announcing a House Task Force made up of seven Republicans and six Democrats to thoroughly investigate the matter,” Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., said in a joint statement on Tuesday. “The task force will be empowered with subpoena authority and will move quickly to find the facts, ensure accountability, and make certain such failures never happen again.” FBI DIRECTOR WRAY REVEALS 5 KEY DETAILS ABOUT TRUMP SHOOTERS’ STASH OF EXPLOSIVES, WEAPONS The resolution was led by Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Pa., whose district the shooting took place in and who was in attendance but unharmed. Johnson told Fox News Digital in an interview last week that he wanted the panel to reach a conclusion as soon as possible — in part, at least, “so that people don’t make up their minds about some conspiracy theory or some sinister plot.” DETAILS ABOUT HOW TRUMP SHOOTER SCALED BUTLER RALLY ROOF EMERGE IN FBI DIRECTOR CHRISTOPHER WRAY TESTIMONY “Some of those rumors have begun already, and we have to address that immediately,” he said “The idea of a task force is that we can have sort of a precision group or unit that goes to work on this immediately. It’ll be bipartisan and will have subpoena authority. I think that’s going to be very important to get the answers as quickly as possible.” The bipartisan scrutiny of the security situation forced U.S. Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle to resign on Tuesday.

UK police officer filmed kicking man in the face

UK police officer filmed kicking man in the face

NewsFeed UK police say they are investigating a video of an officer kicking and stamping on a man’s head while he was laying on the ground at Manchester Airport. Published On 24 Jul 202424 Jul 2024 Adblock test (Why?)

As US Congress cheered for Netanyahu, protesters gathered to denounce him

As US Congress cheered for Netanyahu, protesters gathered to denounce him

Washington, DC – Hours before Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu arrived at the United States Capitol to deliver a speech to Congress, a woman with a blue scarf concealing her face sat alone on a park bench and waved a Palestinian flag near Union Station in Washington, DC. “We will fight for freedom wherever it’s being denied all over the world. We connect with the Palestinians because we are freedom fighters here in America,” the lone protester, who asked to remain anonymous, told Al Jazeera on Wednesday. She was one of the thousands of protesters who would ultimately gather across the capital city to demonstrate against the Israeli prime minister’s speech. As US legislators clapped for Netanyahu inside the domed edifice, activists outside called for him to be tried for abuses linked to Israel’s war in Gaza. Many argued that Netanyahu is a war criminal who belongs in jail, not in the halls of Congress. The demonstrators held effigies of a blood-stained Netanyahu, waved Palestinian flags and chanted “free Palestine” as the Israeli prime minister spoke. Top Republican and Democratic legislators in both the Senate and House of Representatives invited Netanyahu to speak before the joint session of Congress. But despite the bipartisan show of support, dozens of lawmakers boycotted the address on Wednesday, echoing concerns voiced by the demonstrators. Irene Ippolito, a protester draped in a red keffiyeh, described the congressional leadership as a “bunch of sycophants” for bringing Netanyahu to Congress. “We need to be out here. We need to say, ‘Not in our name’,” Ippolito told Al Jazeera. “As American citizens, we have to realise that this could not be taking place without our taxpayer dollars sending tonnes of weapons to Israel as it slaughters men, women and children in Gaza.” She added that the atrocities in Gaza are the “most documented genocide in human history”. Security measures Protesters like Ippolito braved searing summer heat, blocked roads and a heavy police presence as they descended on the site of the demonstration, just west of the Capitol. Some even arrived from across the country. As the protest continued, organisers led a march east through the Capitol Hill neighbourhood. Law enforcement agents had cordoned off the Capitol with a metal fence earlier this week. But on Wednesday morning, they enlarged the security perimeter, turning away vehicles and pedestrians that approached the building. Clusters of heavily armed officers and security agents in riot gear could be seen all around the area. Capitol Police said they deployed pepper spray towards activists who had “become violent” without providing further details. Al Jazeera did witness exchanges of harsh words between officers and demonstrators, but no clashes or physical violence. Adam Abusalah, an Arab American activist from Dearborn, Michigan, said it is a “shame” that Netanyahu was invited to speak to Congress. “It’s a disgrace that members from both parties have invited him to speak here. It’s a disgrace that Kamala Harris, the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party, will meet with him,” Abusalah told Al Jazeera at an anti-Netanyahu protest near the Capitol. “We are here to say enough is enough. As Americans, we will not stand for that.” Protesters march through the Capitol Hill neighbourhood in Washington, DC, July 24, 2024 [Ali Harb/Al Jazeera] Harris — who, as vice president, has the ceremonial role of presiding over the Senate — was at an event in Indianapolis and did not attend Netanyahu’s address at the Capitol. But she is set to meet with him later this week. The vice president is now the likely nominee of the Democratic Party after President Joe Biden dropped out of the race. The Biden administration has authorised more than $14bn in military aid to Israel to help fund the war effort while offering the US ally diplomatic cover at international forums. ‘He has no right to be here’ Some of the protesters’ anger on Wednesday was directed at the US president. “Biden, Biden you can’t hide. We charge you with genocide,” they chanted. Karim, a Palestinian American protester who wished to be identified by his first name only, said he would not support Harris for the presidency after she had served as Biden’s vice president. Instead, he said he would vote for Green Party candidate Jill Stein, who spoke at the demonstration. Karim arrived in Washington, DC, on a bus with dozens of demonstrators on Wednesday, and he expressed bewilderment that Netanyahu was invited to speak at the Capitol. “He has no right to be here,” he told Al Jazeera. “We don’t support criminals of war. We don’t support genocidal maniacs.” In his remarks to US lawmakers, Netanyahu defended the Israeli war, which has killed more than 39,000 Palestinians, displaced more than 80 percent of Gaza’s population and brought the territory to the verge of famine. He also pledged to fight until “total victory” despite US-led efforts to secure a ceasefire deal. The Israeli prime minister hit out at antiwar protesters in the US, accusing them of siding with Hamas. “These protesters that stand with them, they should be ashamed of themselves,” Netanyahu said. He also called the protesters outside the Capitol “Iran’s useful idiots”, earning a standing ovation from US legislators. Protesters hold a bloodied effigy of Netanyahu blocks away from the US Capitol on July 24 [Ali Harb/Al Jazeera] ‘Hitler number two’ On the streets of Washington, DC, the demonstrators had nothing but contempt for the Israeli leader. Several posters compared him to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. Protester Sarah Bowls said the top legislators who invited Netanyahu to the US Capitol should be “ashamed” of themselves. “We should be boycotting him. He should be arrested. He should be at The Hague,” she said, referring to the Dutch city where the International Criminal Court (ICC) is based. ICC prosecutors are seeking arrest warrants for Netanyahu and his Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for alleged war crimes in Gaza. Bowls added that she is “sick” of her government continuing to fund and enable “genocide” against Palestinians. Jenny Bennett, who