Texas Weekly Online

Trump dedicates Kennedy Center speech to Doug LaMalfa after congressman’s shocking death: ‘He was our friend’

Trump dedicates Kennedy Center speech to Doug LaMalfa after congressman’s shocking death: ‘He was our friend’

President Donald Trump dedicated his speech before Republican lawmakers on Tuesday to late Rep. Doug LaMalfa, R-Calif., after the congressman’s sudden death earlier in the day. Trump was previously scheduled to address the House GOP members retreat at the Trump-Kennedy Center on Tuesday, but he said he nearly canceled the plans after learning of LaMalfa’s death. The president praised LaMalfa for always standing by him in votes, and said it was to his credit that Trump never had to call him to rally his support. “I spoke to Doug, but I didn’t speak to him, you know? I mean, we never had a problem. I was really saddened by his passing and was thinking about not even doing the speech in his honor,” Trump said. “But then I decided that I have to do it in his honor. I’ll do it in his honor because he would’ve wanted it that way.” “He would’ve said, ‘Do that speech! Are you kidding me? Do the speech,’” he continued. “He was a fantastic person. Man, that was a quick one. I don’t know quite yet what happened, but boy is that a tough one. He was just with us. He was our friend. All of us, every one of us.” SENATE REPUBLICAN CAMPAIGN CHAIR REVEALS HOW MANY SEATS HE’S AIMING FOR IN 2026 LaMalfa, 65, died Tuesday morning, but the circumstances of his passing have yet to be confirmed. House Majority Whip Tom Emmer, R-Minn., confirmed LaMalfa’s death on X. “Jacquie and I are devastated about the sudden loss of our friend, Congressman Doug LaMalfa. Doug was a loving father and husband, and staunch advocate for his constituents and rural America. Our prayers are with Doug’s wife, Jill, and their children,” Emmer said. SOCIALIST WINS PILE UP AFTER GOP’S BRUTAL 2025 OFF-YEAR ELECTION LOSSES LaMalfa was known as a champion of conservative causes as well as a kind man to both reporters and his fellow House lawmakers. The congressman represented the 1st Congressional District in Northern California, and was chair of the Congressional Western Caucus. His death brings House Republicans’ majority down to 218–213, meaning Republicans now can lose only two votes to pass legislation along party lines. Fox News’ Elizabeth Elkind contributed to this report.

Rand Paul: Biden FBI tracked Catholic teacher with no Jan 6 ties in ‘weaponized’ probe

Rand Paul: Biden FBI tracked Catholic teacher with no Jan 6 ties in ‘weaponized’ probe

The FBI under the Biden administration spent two years investigating a Catholic school teacher — and even put her on a terror watchlist — based on an unverified tip that connected her to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol in 2021, according to a new congressional report. Christine Crowder wasn’t at the U.S. Capitol when a mob overran the building to prevent the certification of the 2020 election, according to findings released by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. She was, however, in D.C. for a rally for President Donald Trump earlier that day, and the FBI spent 23 months tracking her for it, the report said. The committee’s chairman, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., called the move an overreach of federal power based on insufficient evidence. BIDEN DOJ AND FBI CONSIDERED CRIMINAL PROBE INTO KYRSTEN SINEMA AFTER SHE LEFT DEMOCRATIC PARTY “A free society cannot tolerate a system in which programs and authorities intended to keep the public safe are instead weaponized against them due to mere suspicion,” Paul said. “The records released today show how an unverified tip that the FBI failed to substantiate led to nearly two years of surveillance of an innocent American.” According to a timeline put out by the committee, the FBI’s probe of Crowder first began in January 2021, when an anonymous tipster claimed to have recognized her in news coverage of the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol Building.  Despite an initial negative match for her face and geolocation, the FBI expanded its probe, and, for the better part of two years, conducted physical surveillance of the Crowder household, put her on a travel watchlist, secured a warrant for her Facebook account and even prepared a prosecution case against her, the report said. The FBI would finally drop the case in June 2023 when the bureau determined that it could not positively place Crowder at the Capitol on Jan. 6.  “After conducting pertinent checks, FBI found no evidence that Crowder definitively entered the Capitol Building. At the time Crowder was supposedly exiting the Capitol, she was elsewhere in D.C.,” the bureau wrote in its closing finding.  FBI TO BE UNDER HARSH NEW MICROSCOPE AS STEFANIK SCORES VICTORY IN ANNUAL DEFENSE BILL According to the committee, Crowder’s case surfaced as a part of a larger investigation into whether Biden-era federal agencies used flight watchlists to conduct politically motivated surveillance under their Quiet Skies Program. Crowder’s case also overlaps with religious profiling memos used internally by the FBI under the Biden administration. Lawmakers had previously uncovered internal FBI communications under the Biden administration that, in 2022, had targeted traditionalist Catholic places of worship in Richmond. In the view of an FBI memo, those churches were suspected of radicalizing ethnically motivated extremists. The FBI rescinded the memo after a whistleblower released the memo to the public. The memo fed into concern among Republican lawmakers that the FBI and other agencies had used religious and political profiling to justify surveillance.  Those same Republican concerns about weaponized suspicions extended to the Quiet Skies Program — a surveillance initiative that has since been terminated under the Trump administration. It sought to monitor targets who could post security risks, but who hadn’t formally been designated as threats by federal agencies. Republicans feared that the program created an amorphous gray area that allowed for travel surveillance even without a credible danger to national security. In one such case, the committee’s previous work revealed that the TSA had placed surveillance on future Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard on at least five flights in 2024 after attending an event in Vatican City. Gabbard told lawmakers she believed the surveillance only began after she made statements critical of then-President Joe Biden. With regard to the Crowder case, FBI Director Kash Patel called the effort a misapplication of the bureau’s focus and resources. According to the Department of Homeland Security, the Quiet Skies Program cost taxpayers $200 million annually. “This case is an example of misplaced priorities and everything that went wrong with federal law enforcement in the aftermath of January 6,” Patel said in a statement released by the committee. JIM JORDAN ACCUSES DOJ OF ‘SPYING’ ON HIM FOR YEARS THROUGH SECRET PHONE RECORD SUBPOENAS “When a Catholic kindergarten teacher from Texas can be surveilled for more than two years simply for being in Washington, D.C., without entering the Capitol, without committing a crime, we have crossed from legitimate investigation into political overreach.”  Paul echoed Patel’s framing, thanking the administration for terminating the program. “I am grateful for FBI Director Kash Patel’s cooperation in producing these records, and I appreciate Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem for ending the Quiet Skies program. The conduct revealed by these documents underscores the need to limit the power of faceless bureaucrats who have too often infringed on the rights of the people,” Paul said.

Republican congressman hospitalized after car accident, sources say

Republican congressman hospitalized after car accident, sources say

Rep. Jim Baird, R-Ind., has been hospitalized after a car accident, Fox News has learned. Baird, 80, is responsive and in stable condition, Fox News sources said. Details about the incident remain unclear, although President Donald Trump said that the incident was “pretty bad” and that Baird’s wife was also injured. HOUSE GOP REP DOUG LAMALFA DEAD AT 65 “I also want to send our best wishes to Congressman Jim Baird and his wife, who were recovering from a car accident,” Trump said Tuesday during remarks at the newly renamed Donald J. Trump and John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts. “They’re going to be okay, but they had a pretty bad accident and we’re praying that they get out of that hospital very quickly.”  Trump also paid tribute to Rep. Doug LaMalfa, R-Calif., who has died at age 65. His death brings House Republicans’ majority down to 218–213.  Baird, known on Capitol Hill for veterans and farming issues, has represented Indiana’s 4th Congressional District since 2019. The district is a largely rural, agriculture-heavy area in western and north-central Indiana. RED STATE MOVES FORWARD ON TRUMP-BACKED PUSH FOR NEW CONGRESSIONAL MAP A U.S. Army veteran who served during the Vietnam War, Baird later became a veterinarian and entered politics after decades in private practice. Before entering Congress, Baird served as a member of the Indiana House of Representatives from 2010 to 2018 and as a Putnam County commissioner before that, from 2006 to 2010. Over the weekend, Baird hailed the Trump administration’s capture of Venezuelan dictator Nicolás Maduro.  “We are fortunate to have a president willing to follow through on protecting American lives. Decisive leadership as commander in chief matters, and it gives our men and women in uniform the confidence they need to carry out difficult missions against those who threaten our country,” Baird wrote on X.  “Holding indicted criminals accountable and denying drug traffickers a safe haven sends a clear message: The United States will not tolerate foreign actors who enable the flow of fentanyl and other deadly drugs into our communities.

Republicans rally behind Trump’s military strike to arrest Maduro as Democrats sound alarm: poll

Republicans rally behind Trump’s military strike to arrest Maduro as Democrats sound alarm: poll

Republicans and Democrats sharply disagree over support for the military operation President Donald Trump ordered to arrest Venezuelan leader Nicholas Maduro, according to a new national poll. Sixty-five percent of Republicans questioned in the survey by Reuters/Ipsos said they backed the strike, carried out by the U.S. military before dawn on Saturday, in which Maduro was captured and handed over to federal authorities for prosecution on drug trafficking charges. But only 23% of Independents and just 11% of Democrats questioned in the survey, which was conducted Sunday and Monday, approved of the military operation in Venezuela. WHO’S WHO IN THE MADURO CASE, AS JUDGE, PROSECUTORS, AND DEFENSE FACE OFF Nearly two-thirds of Democrats and 35% of Independents, but just 5% of Republicans, said they didn’t approve of the strike. Overall, a third of those questioned approved of the mission, a third had no opinion or didn’t answer the question, and 34% disapproved. AG BONDI TELLS FOX NEWS ‘NOTHING IS OFF THE TABLE’ AFTER MADURO ARREST Trump, who has long criticized foreign interventions by his predecessors in the White House, has said the U.S. will “run” Venezuela. “We’re in charge,” the president reiterated to reporters. But 72% of all adults questioned in the survey, including 90% of Democrats, 74% of Independents and 54% of Republicans, said they worry the U.S. will get too involved in Venezuela. RUBIO DEFENDS VENEZUELA OPERATION OVER LACK OF CONGRESSIONAL APPROVAL FOR MADURO CAPTURE The president on Monday said he’s prepared to send U.S. ground troops to Venezuela if leaders in the South American nation don’t cooperate. And vowing to overhaul and rebuild Venezuela’s oil industry, Trump said the U.S. needs “total access” to the country’s expansive oil fields. Sixty percent of Republicans surveyed said they supported sending U.S. troops to Venezuela, compared to just 30% of all adults. But reflecting concerns among those in the GOP who advocate an America First agenda, only 43% of Republican respondents agreed with the statement, “The United States should have a policy of dominating affairs in the Western Hemisphere,” with 19% disagreeing and the remainder unsure or not answering the question. The president’s approval rating in the survey stood at 42%, up three points from the previous Reuters/Ipsos survey, which was conducted in December.

National Rifle Association sues its charitable foundation, alleging takeover by ‘disgruntled’ ex-board members

National Rifle Association sues its charitable foundation, alleging takeover by ‘disgruntled’ ex-board members

The National Rifle Association filed a lawsuit on Monday accusing its charitable foundation, the NRA Foundation, of misusing $160 million in donations. The NRA alleged the foundation used its trademarks without authorization and diverted donations intended for NRA charitable programs. The group also claimed former NRA directors seized control of the foundation to compete with the gun rights organization. “The Foundation has been seized by a disgruntled faction of former NRA directors who lost control of the NRA’s Board following revelations of financial improprieties, mismanagement, and breaches of fiduciary duty and member trust,” attorneys for the NRA wrote in the complaint. The attorney claimed that the faction of former directors seeks to use the foundation to reclaim control after having been “booted out of power by the NRA’s members.” BLACK LIVES MATTER OKC LEADER CHARGED WITH WIRE FRAUD, MONEY LAUNDERING IN ALLEGED $3.15M EMBEZZLEMENT SCHEME The suit claims that the foundation has a personal “beef” with the NRA, and that the faction is “bitter” about losing control of the NRA’s board following “a series of scandals.” Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s former chief, resigned in January 2024 as he was set to face trial in a corruption case brought by Democratic New York Attorney General Letitia James. Prosecutors alleged that NRA executives used millions in company funds on luxury personal purchases and trips. US APPEALS COURT STRIKES DOWN CALIFORNIA OPEN-CARRY GUN BAN IN MAJOR SECON AMENDMENT RULING A jury found the organization liable for financial mismanagement, ordering LaPierre to repay the group $4,351,231. A judge later decided not to assign an outside monitor to oversee the NRA, but banned LaPierre from employment with the organization for ten years.  The lawsuit asks a federal judge in Washington, D.C., to bar the foundation from what the NRA calls unfair competition, including promoting or advertising any affiliation with the NRA or using its logo. It also seeks to block conduct that could lead the public to believe the foundation’s activities are “sponsored, endorsed, or authorized by, or associated or connected with” the NRA.

Mamdani admits he has no federal security clearance after claiming he was ‘briefed’ on Venezuela raid

Mamdani admits he has no federal security clearance after claiming he was ‘briefed’ on Venezuela raid

New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani admitted he has no federal security clearance on Monday, just a day after claiming he had been “briefed” about the U.S. capture of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. Mamdani was asked directly about his security clearance during a Monday press briefing, ultimately saying that he had not yet received it. The freshly-inaugurated mayor had been the butt of viral jokes on social media from users suggesting he had inflated his access to information about the strike in his initial statement. “You don’t have federal security clearance yet, and has anyone from a federal agency reached out to you or members of your team to begin the vetting to get federal security clearance?” a reporter asked. “That briefing, yes, was conducted by my team,” Mamdani responded. “And the question of federal security clearance is one that’s on and on.” US MILITARY DETAILS TIMELINE OF OPERATION TO CAPTURE MADURO, REVEALING MORE THAN 150 AIRCRAFT INVOLVED “So you do have it?” the reporter pressed. “No, not as yet,” the mayor admitted. The exchange came after Mamdani’s initial statement on the Venezuela raid appeared to suggest he had received inside information on the operation. JONATHAN TURLEY: MADURO OPERATION WAS LEGAL, BUT TRUMP MAKES IT COMPLICATED “I was briefed this morning on the U.S. military capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, as well as their planned imprisonment in federal custody here in New York City,” Mamdani wrote on X after news of Maduro’s capture broke. He went on to condemn the move by President Donald Trump, but some users on social media called him out for inflating his access. “Called it,” wrote one user whose post on the topic received over 140,000 “likes.” Mamdani’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Fox News Digital.

House GOP Rep Doug LaMalfa dead at 65

House GOP Rep Doug LaMalfa dead at 65

U.S. Rep. Doug LaMalfa, R-Calif., has died at age 65. LaMalfa represented the 1st Congressional District, part of Northern California, and was chair of the Congressional Western Caucus. His death brings House Republicans’ majority down to 218–213.  House Majority Whip Tom Emmer, R-Minn., confirmed LaMalfa’s death on X. SENATE REPUBLICAN CAMPAIGN CHAIR REVEALS HOW MANY SEATS HE’S AIMING FOR IN 2026 “Jacquie and I are devastated about the sudden loss of our friend, Congressman Doug LaMalfa. Doug was a loving father and husband, and staunch advocate for his constituents and rural America. Our prayers are with Doug’s wife, Jill, and their children,” Emmer said. LaMalfa was known as a champion of conservative causes as well as a kind man to both reporters and his fellow House lawmakers. SOCIALIST WINS PILE UP AFTER GOP’S BRUTAL 2025 OFF-YEAR ELECTION LOSSES With his death and the recent resignation of Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., House Republicans currently can lose only two votes to still pass anything along party lines. It’s a perilously slim majority as Republicans kick off the second half of the 119th Congress with hopes of passing a second “big, beautiful bill.” LaMalfa’s death appears to have caught a majority of his colleagues by surprise, with tributes pouring out for the late congressman on Tuesday morning. “Doug was a principled conservative and a tireless advocate for the people of Northern California. He was never afraid to fight for rural communities, farmers, and working families. Doug brought grit, authenticity, and conviction to everything he did in public service,” said National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) Chairman Richard Hudson, R-N.C. LaMalfa’s House GOP colleague from California, Rep. Young Kim, R-Calif., said in a statement, “Doug was not only a respected colleague in the California Republican Delegation, but a genuinely kind, decent man who treated everyone with warmth and respect. His leadership, friendship, and steady presence will be deeply missed.” The news comes just as House Republicans are meeting for an all-day policy brainstorming session at the newly renamed Trump Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. President Donald Trump is addressing GOP lawmakers on Tuesday morning to kick off the day’s events.